Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im still looking to buy a used civic and ive seen some but with slight rust, would this be repairable or is any small amount of rust a really bad sign? how would yo go about fixing a rusty panel which hasnt rusted all the way through? or should i stay away from any rust completely for my first car?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
yea rust can be really bad at times if it works the whole way through the panel, you will need completely cut the rust out if this is so!!

i think if its only minor rust on the externals thats causing the paint to bubble, you can just sand it off and seal it over with filler

you will want to find the cause of rust though or it will just come back anyways!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks for the info, so if there is slight rust it wouldnt be too hard to get rid of it and its not really much of an issue then. but if there is a hole because of rust then i would need to cut it out and then im guessing id have to weld a self made peice of whatever in its place. im gonna search for more info on google, and 1 more question, where should i check for rust on a 92-95 civic hatchback? im guessing under the wheel arches but are there any other areas where it can creep up?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
yea pretty much, not too sure how its professionally done but im assuming you would weld a plate in behind the rust if it is that bad, then just smooth it out nicely with the body work with filler!!
most common places are obviously the wheel arches, check the side panels along the bottom aswell, iv started to get rust bubbling under the paint on my ek on the side panel by the right back wheel!! i also noticed rust the other day when i open my boot, down by the bumper, gonna have a further look tomorrow, hopefully its not too bad!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now this may sound like a really stupid question but what causes rust? and how can you avoid it?

oh and hope your rust isnt too bad

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
just general aging of the metal will cause rust, but things like moisture build ups will speed up the process quite quickly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts