Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the forum. Always wanted a Honda Civic and finally acquired a mint 2017 low mileage 1.4 iVtech. Would have liked a 1.8 or the newer 1.5 but didn’t happen. My friend warned me the 1.4 is a bit low powered and I agree that you have to wind it up a bit to move. I’m not a speed merchant but I read about performance air filters such as K&N - are these worth it for a car such as mine? Any other enhancements that don’t cost hundreds but would increase efficiency and performance
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Bozwald,

I would say no. The first reason is that high flow rate filters probably do not filter as well as their more restrictive counterparts. In one of my posts on this page, I described how I cleaned my MAF sensor and the result that I got from doing so. In summary, some gunk built up on my MAF sensor even though I used the specified air filter. I would guard against dirty MAF sensors going forward.

The second consideration is that it is hard to get much more power out of normally aspirated petrol engines. From own experience, one is much better off buying a more powerful model if power is the requirement. I know that turbodiesels respond very well to tuning. But tuning a turbodiesel is also best left in the hands of a person who really understands in depth what he is doing.

Good luck to you. Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting question. The majority of contaminants which travel from the dirty side of the filter to the "clean" side of the filter actually pass the filter seal rather than the filter media. So the way in which the filter is fitted and the cleanliness of the seal seating is therefore very important. The K&N will tend to flow more air than a stock filter and the K&N also tend to have a very good quality seal. A badly fitted K&N would probably flow even more air and allow greater power and torque to be produced at the cost of allowing more contaminants into the engine. The results of many tests are that K&N will flow better than a standard filter and will therefore allow better fuel economy or increased outright power to be produced. There is another observation that the K&N can do this by allowing slightly larger particles to pass through it than the standard filter allows through thereby wearing out the engine marginally more quickly. Nobody seems to have completed any definitive research as to how much more quickly a K&N equipped engine will wear out than a standard equipped engine. There are just too many variables ... petrol heads are more likely to fit a K&N and are more likely to want to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the engine than Rodney Reason the rep who doesnt care what's under the bonnet just so long as it gets him up the motorway.
There isnt a right answer to this one. I use K&Ns in car and bikes out of warranty because they are made very well and are serviceable. Would I fit a K&N and then send my car to a Honda dealer for servicing? Nope! Non standard equipment sir! voided warranty sir! Ooh sir! The cylinder head has just been found to be cracked and Honda won't cover the cost of renewal because of the non standard equipment!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts