Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... just registered on here today...ok, my dilemma... loooking to buy a 1999-2001 civic 5 door sport.. question is... can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference in the 1.4 sport compared to the 1.5 vtec sport?

I have had a look at the figures, bit of jump in BHP... but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts etc

any replies welcome

ok cheers

·
Registered
795 Posts
I tihnk (if you haven't already thought of it) the 1.5 will be more expensive tax wise. But other than that not much mate. Although the 1.5 will give you VTEC which is superb!!

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Proper VTEC is yeah, the 1.5 has SOHC VTEC-E - the E meaning economy :)

If there's not much difference in insurance/car prices it's worth going for the 1.5, but most who've had both say there's not much difference in power between them. But as you say, it's around a 20bhp increase, so it probably is a tad quicker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hiya

Thanks for the replies. I wasnt aware of the tax jump to be honest (thought it would be the lower amount as its under 1549cc?..or would the year of manufacture come into it?)

Anyway, i guess i am still no cleaer as to which to go for.. i think its swaying on the vtec at the mo... insurance wise there isnt much in it... i had 2 qoutes.. both were slightly cheaper for the 1.5!

1.4's are more common though

Cheers

Edit:

Hiya

Thanks for the replies. I wasnt aware of the tax jump to be honest (thought it would be the lower amount as its under 1549cc?..or would the year of manufacture come into it?)

Anyway, i guess i am still no cleaer as to which to go for.. i think its swaying on the vtec at the mo... insurance wise there isnt much in it... i had 2 qoutes.. both were slightly cheaper for the 1.5!

1.4's are more common though

Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after a long, hard and frustratingsearch, I managed to pick up a 5dr 1.5 vtec sport. Some advice needed though please...

Engine /components/bay - has a fair bit of rust, can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of this? I came across this web page (hope the link works!)http://www.cookhaus.co.uk/vinegar/index.htm

Previosuly I used Dinitrol ML on the underneath of my old car but not sure of this is recomended for the engine/parts etc

I was thinking of an engine wash, then treating the engine/parts/bay etc with a kind of lacquer/anti corrosion e.g Dinitrol or WD40 etc? any ideas?

I need to carry out a full service and am thinking about an engine flush as the car has not been services for a long time, but after reading a few different posts here- have changed my mind! - just drove 130 miles after picking the car up - no probs at all, and after reading the posts in terms of potential probs that can happen after a flush I think I will just get it sercviced.

Can anyone recomend a good/best oil for this car? mileage is 80K

I basically want to carry out a major service and make sure the car is running as best as it can - anything else anyone can think of for this car e.g. common faults/hints etc would be much appreciated

Appreciate any respones

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm dubious about engine flush, I've been told that it takes the glaze off the bearings. I flush with the cheapest engine oil I can find, run the car for a few miles, then replace with a suitable top grade engine oil, but that's just my opinion for what it's worth :D

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
The general consensus is that engine flush isn't of any benefit on older engines and if anything will cause more problems. I'd recommend giving it a good service, replace all filters and possibly look to change the cambelt if there isn't proof changed around the 60k mark.

Rust wise, the best thing you can do is take components off and give them a clean, anything that wont clean up to your satisfaction I would replace. I'm not sure what to use to seal the engine after its been cleaned but I would be interested to hear from others what their recommendations would be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. Billy F - interesting idea, might try that!..i definitely wont do the flush. Effi the seller said the T belt had been done at 60k - there is a reference to this near the T belt casing/metal panel which basically states (in what looks like TipEx) that it was changed at 60k 2 years ago - which is in keeping with the mileage in terms of a timeline etc. Is there anyway of checking this just by looking at it closely with a trained eye?

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
The belt should show age as any other part subjected to wear and tear. If you take it to a reputable garage they would be able to give you a better idea although I doubt they would give you any kind of guarantee that its ok. If you are planning on keeping it for a while then I would recommend changing the belt as part of the service anyway as its not going to be as expensive as doing it on its own, it'll also give you piece of mind and should last for another 50k at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts