Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to the forum but I was hoping I could just get some opinions as I am about to buy a Civic. I am currently looking at a 1.6 Sport, and a 2.0 Type-S. They are both 2005 (or maybe 2004). I am viewing both cars tomorrow at a local dealership.
What are the opinions on these cars? I assume the Type-S has a lot better performance, however the Sport does look...well...sportier! with petrol prices these days I don't want to be killed everytime I have to fill the tank. Is the 2.0 engine in the Type-S as bad as the type-R in terms of mpg?
Are there any other differences I should really be aware of? (apart from the number of doors). Any problem areas I should look out for when viewing the cars, and test driving?

Thanks for your help!

Michael

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The Sports are pretty slow i have been told and they are still as expensive as a type r!

If i were you i would go for a type r would wouldnt regret it :)

Unless you want to go older and go for a VTI or something like that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only concern with the type-r is the fuel economy, as I often have to do some long distance driving. Hmm, what to do. The Type-S seems a trade-off, but doesn't look as good.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The type s is a great car. Ok it lacks looks but its quite a q car. It produces 160bhp its a dohc vtec. Driven sensibly you can see 38mpg and comes totaly kitted out, you get everything including the ******* sink. I loved that car and only sold it because i bought a brand new house and wanted a bit more cash for my house.

I had the ep 1.6 se same as sport and that car was alright but boring to drive and lacked power.

Your choice though, but if you worried about fuel go buy a diesel or a 1.1.

·
Registered
370 Posts
if your on the motorway i would choose the 2l. the 1.6 has less or simliar power to my older 1.5. its heavier too so slooooooow.

the beauty of vtec is you can drive sensibly and get a pretty good mpg but then if you need power the engine has a more aggressive side :D

my mates dad has a brand new civic (2.2 diesel) and it flies. does v good mpg aswell. im not too hot on the ep shape diesels.

type s is not far from type r but like civic_vtec said comes with all the kit so still a good car and its a HONDA!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the opinions guys. I drove both the Type-S and the Sport today. I couldn't really tell much difference, but then I didn't really get to go on a road where I could really push the engine.

The Sport is listed at £9200, 55 plate, 27k miles....and I have been offered £1k off due to part-ex ....so imagine I can get this down to £8k.

The Type-S is £8200, 04 plate , 37k miles...so I imagine I can get down to about £7200 (via part ex etc).

Still undecided. I would think about a typeR but I can't find any locally without a large mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm started to be more tempted by the Type-S...my main concern is actually that it looks a bit dull. I'm currently looking at ways to make it appear a bit more lively :p

suggestions welcome!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
for those prices i'd go for the type s!!! so much better and you get cruise and all the other toys!

sport-young driver
type s-older driver but still a good drive
type r-for when u can afford to insure/run it!

if the dealer doesnt let you do it then just do it! dont be scared to! unless ur in an R where i would leave lots of room in front of you!!

also when i drove the sport it didnt feel any faster than my 1.4 fiesta, which i though was a waste of money!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts