Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 1.8 Civic (Petrol)
I'm wondering where other members' temperature gauges point. Mine was very low, but I noticed after a long run (1.5 hr) up hill and at 70 mph, it moved up a little towards the temp icon.
Any input from others?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2007 1.8 Civic (Petrol)
I'm wondering where other members' temperature gauges point. Mine was very low, but I noticed after a long run (1.5 hr) up hill and at 70 mph, it moved up a little towards the temp icon.
Any input from others?
It would help if you gave some quantitative indication on what you consider 'very low' and 'a bit'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Almost every car I've seen has the gauge sat perfectly mid way on the gauge. Often times the actual signal to the screen is slightly modified to make it seem more "Normal" to the driver (there is always slight variance so the system can sometimes dampen out that slight variance).

I'd say you potentially have a thermostat issue on the car. You can test that by starting the engine up from cold, and feeling the bottom radiator hose (if you can reach it) or the radiator itself (watch out for the fans!).

If it warms up at the bottom, before the temp has reached a steady mid way point on the gauge there is a fair chance your thermostat is sticking open slightly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Almost every car I've seen has the gauge sat perfectly mid way on the gauge. Often times the actual signal to the screen is slightly modified to make it seem more "Normal" to the driver (there is always slight variance so the system can sometimes dampen out that slight variance).

I'd say you potentially have a thermostat issue on the car. You can test that by starting the engine up from cold, and feeling the bottom radiator hose (if you can reach it) or the radiator itself (watch out for the fans!).

If it warms up at the bottom, before the temp has reached a steady mid way point on the gauge there is a fair chance your thermostat is sticking open slightly.
To run a test do what JTaylor said. Make sure you have the aircon button switched off and the heater controls set to fully cool when you do this. This is important, because the air-con will typicially start one of the fans and the heater dissipates heat.. Let the car warm up. Note the point (on the temperature gauge) at which the fans kick in. Typicaly if a car's running too cold the thermostat's gone U/S and staying permanently fully open. The other common issue is air in the system - which could be caused by any work on the engine, heater or cooling system or any work that involves moving the engine to get at another component and dopping hose connections to do so - including to the heater matrix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My car's a 1.4 and sits just below midway. Your pic doesn't look especially out of normal. Try a test at the end of a trip switch the aircon completely off. The fan for this can engage permanently when running and decrease the temperature in the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts