Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Is this why I'm losing acceleration when I've put my 17's on (185/55-14 to 205/40-17) ???

Only having a 1.5 and I need all the help I can get not take some away :)

When you've not got a lot of power to start with you tend to notice these things

Lol

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Youngster said:
Hi

Is this why I'm losing acceleration when I've put my 17's on (185/55-14 to 205/40-17) ???

Only having a 1.5 and I need all the help I can get not take some away :)

When you've not got a lot of power to start with you tend to notice these things

Lol
yes in a nut shell at 70 mph your actually nearly doing 75 mph due to the rolling radius being more with the 17s.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you'll probably find that your MPG has gone down as well.... if you watch that sort of thing!

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I put 17" on my standard 16 LSi commuting in to London it made a great difference, and struggled on slight hills and inclines (I.E having to change down to fourth), before with 14" I got 320 mpg average per tank (41ltrs) sometimes 350, after never above 270 mpg, did the tyre calc should have been about 3.7% out.... which equates to 11 - 12 miles, but it did'nt work out that way.... not for my car anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine was fitted with 185/60/14s originally.... I think that was standard on a coupe, had the right alloys, pulls up gradients in any gear now though :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
See this is where I get lost,

I put a 1.4 gearbox in my 1.5 lsi vtec and it threw my speedo out and when i put the 17's on it put it back to roughly where it should be all be it the revs are still higher as it's lower geared now.

Lol

All I know is that it definetly is slower now with the bigger wheels

But looks the SHNOOKS so hey ho !!

·
Registered
75 Posts
"When I put 17" on my standard 16 LSi commuting in to London it made a great difference, and struggled on slight hills and inclines (I.E having to change down to fourth), before with 14" I got 320 mpg average per tank (41ltrs) sometimes 350, after never above 270 mpg, did the tyre calc should have been about 3.7% out.... which equates to 11 - 12 miles, but it did'nt work out that way.... not for my car anyway."

Id love to get anywere near 350mpg :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Edit:

your car probably feels slower as you have increased the weight of your wheels, Your engine is gonna require more muscle to spin them up quickly than before. also there is more friction on the road. You car really wasnt designed for 17's and over the next year/s you will notice your bushes bearings track rod ends steering rack taking a punishment from the increase in weight and friction

also with your bigger wheels your brakes are gonna require more muscle to stop as you have affectively just stuck some huge flywheels onto your hubs. 17's might be great with your mates but performance wise these cars require some 15's or 16's IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it should have read 350 on a tank (41Ltrs)..... get 250 on a tank now, not bad for 11psi boost and about 230 - 240 BHP, the 17"s with 215's are the only things to get the power down (well in the dry anyway) ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I cant imagine EK's and Eg's looking good in wheels bigger than 16", especially if you want the slammed or at least lowered look. I would go for 15" lightweight wheels, especially as vtec engines hardly produce a mountain of torque so weight in general should be reduced, especially at the wheels!

·
Registered
165 Posts
guys, got a question regarding all this. I have a 2002 civic coupe em2. was looking at what size wheels to get. currently the car is on stock 16inch wheels with fat tires. If i was to go for 17 inch alloys with low profile, the radius would more or less stay the same. Would i still feel a drop in performance or anything? or would i be better sticking to a set of 16 inch alloys with low profile tyres? I just dont want to sacrifice any acceleration :thumbdown:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi guys,

I've had a look at the size guide. I didn't know that even just getting a lower profile would make such a difference! I've got standard alloys on my 1.6 exec, 195/60/15 and I just wanted the profile at 45, but according to the calculator, if I'm doing 70 on the speedo I'd actually be doing 60! Is there a way to calibrate or map anything to get it to work properly? I would like to get some alloys in the future and would rather not have this problem.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts