Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Hope someone knows whats going on with this red key thing..

As some of you know I have just bought a Honda Civic 1.5ils VTEC

Ehen I got given the keys there were 2 metal ones and one RED rubber topped key...The guy I bought it off said put the red key away and don't lose it or you'll be fooked, just use the other key, now as you can see in the pic i have posted, the red key is on the right which I have in a safe place, and I am using the other key to start the car..But as you can see the electronic chip is being held on by brown tape and it looks like its seen better days..

I don't want to lose the chip one day to sods law, and then find the car won't start, so I went into my local motor spares store and asked how much a new key would be, guy said with the reprogramme of the chip onto a new chip on a new key it'll be 20 quid guv..whoah I thought 20 sovs for a replacemet key is a bit steep..So asked him about why I had another key at home being the red key that I couldn't use or take out in fear of losing it..He just said he had heard about the Fiat Punto red key scheme but wasn't aware there was a red key for the Honda's..

So my question is whats with the red key then....Is it really seriously bad to take it out and use in place of my other key or does the red key not have a chip inside it at all, I just want a decent looking key on my bunch not one with brown tape all round it and on the verge of losing its chip..

Any help appreciated guys...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
The red key is sometimes required for recoding of the chip/ECU when you go to Honda. Although its very rare they ask for it. Its best to keep it safe either way as you never know. To be fair £20 for cutting and programming a key isn't really that steep, not like a door key and they are £3 or so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Errr its never gonna see a Honda dealer as its a 14 year old car and has always had its servicing and repairs done at local garages for the last 8 years and will continue to do so at my local trusted garage..No way can I afford to have the car serviced or repairs carried out at Honda main dealers, so I would say then that the key is probably redundant for me and I may go ahead and use it as my normal key from now on and put the old chipped key away for safe keeping incase of..

What do the community think???

·
Registered
110 Posts
I heard you shouldn't use the red key as your car will explode, killing you and simultaneously alerting ruthless Honda ninjas to come and finish you off before marking your grave with a symbol that loosely translates as 'drove with red key'

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ItsNotAFreakinRover said:
I heard you shouldn't use the red key as your car will explode, killing you and simultaneously alerting ruthless Honda ninjas to come and finish you off before marking your grave with a symbol that loosely translates as 'drove with red key'
Love it.. :D lol

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Crazylegsdude said:
Errr its never gonna see a Honda dealer as its a 14 year old car and has always had its servicing and repairs done at local garages for the last 8 years and will continue to do so at my local trusted garage..No way can I afford to have the car serviced or repairs carried out at Honda main dealers, so I would say then that the key is probably redundant for me and I may go ahead and use it as my normal key from now on and put the old chipped key away for safe keeping incase of..

What do the community think???
The red key should NEVER see your ign barrel unless its held by a honda mechanic. Its for, as effi said, when the ecu get's reprogrammed by honda or if you need a new key set made up etc

Keep in a drawer with all you other car docs and leave it till you sell the car. Most cars have mater keys these days and they are expensive to replace. I had one for my punto and to replace it would cost £500 :eek:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
too cut your loonnggg story short, lol

its pretty much a master key, want to keep it in perfect nick so they can use it to make you a new key!

but like you said your probs not going to use honda anyways and if you can get a new key for £20 thats spot on!!

wen i went to a garage about my car getting broken into and the fob going missing, they wanted £50 just for the fob to be reset by honda :surprised: :surprised:

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Below taken from another forum...

Honda Civic 98 lost keys, used red key in ignition - now immoboliser blocked!?
Hey Guys, I lost my Honda keys last week and used the red key in the ignition - when these didnt start the car - only showed a flashing green key on dash, I called Honda - who told me that I reset the immoboliser system and would need a new one along with reprogrammed set of keys at a cost of £300!! Anyone know of any cheaper ways to do this?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
lol woops maybe dont use it then!!

i always thought n near sure i was told by others it was just kept so you have a completely clean and functional version of the key for your locks for honda to use to reprogramme and create new keys for your car

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Civit said:
Below taken from another forum...

Honda Civic 98 lost keys, used red key in ignition - now immoboliser blocked!?
Hey Guys, I lost my Honda keys last week and used the red key in the ignition - when these didnt start the car - only showed a flashing green key on dash, I called Honda - who told me that I reset the immoboliser system and would need a new one along with reprogrammed set of keys at a cost of £300!! Anyone know of any cheaper ways to do this?
Well after reading your post, it looks like I won't be using the red key as a replacement for my old and battered one..Not if its gonna mess other stuff up :rolleyes: ..

Thanks for the info civit.. ;)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
you can buy blank honda keys off ebay,

im sure if you took it to a key cutter they could cut it down using ur wrecked key as a guide

most shopping centers have a locksmith now so jus call in n ask sure

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
josh897 said:
you can buy blank Honda keys off eBay,

im sure if you took it to a key cutter they could cut it down using ur wrecked key as a guide

most shopping centers have a locksmith now so jus call in n ask sure
You can get blank keys but they still have got to be programmed from a red master key :)

Found the original leaflet in my service book:-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hang on I'm getting confused now!

Guy in my local motor spares shop said he could cut me a key and reprogramme the new chip from my old normal key..

No one said anything about reprogramming from the red key, infact he didn't even know there was such a red master key for the Honda's, mentioned in my first post..(Should I then take my Red key with me to my local motor spares shop or just give him the normal ignition key).. :confused: :D

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Any key you get cut will have to be programmed with the use of the red key (if your car has a red key type immobilisor fitted) :(

My car has only one key (a black one) when I bought the car I was not supplied with the red key.... I cannot get keys cut for my car that will work, unless I go the local Honda dealer with my chassis number, proof of ownership and a big bag of money :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well if all he's gonna do is clone the chip, isn't that gonna cause problems once I insert the key in the ignition as it would effectively be a red key..

whereas if he clones the normal key chip it would just copy over the normal info on the chip and nothing else, which obviously the red key has more info on it..

Honda may have a completely different way of coding our keys than just plain old cloning which the normal bods use..

Discuss.. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
You cannot get a code off of a Black key.... if your bloke can do it I will be round to see him pronto, as I've said I've only had one key for about four years... sooner or later it's going to break or get lost :eek:

I've tried loads of places that cut keys and a couple of security people :cry:

If on the other hand your guy has never heard of the Honda Red key system... I would avoid him!!

I personally do not see you problem BTW... if you go to a reputable tradesman with your red key you can get one cut.... no problems, but it will cost about £ 20.00 ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went round and spoke to my man at the local motor spares shop, he reckons he can clone any key you give him including my black key, says its gonna cost me £20 notes to find out though.. :rolleyes:

So I'm gonna leave it at the mo and checkout some other key places around my way and see what I turn up!! will post back here though if I find someone who will guarantee the key will work or my money back, then I have nowt to lose have I :D

Thanks all for your input!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts