Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm currently driving a 1.4 Honda Civic EJ9 (00) reg.

Recently there has been a weird noise coming from the front (I presume). The sound of the noise happens at 2.5 (2,500) revs. The best way to decribe this noise is like if it is a plastic bag rattling, thats the type of noise it is.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my EJ9.

Very much appreciated..

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Have you revved the engine while looking in the engine bay? Can you see at least where abouts the sound is coming from?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Alec - No I haven't but will do tomorrow...

@ mathewp80 - So its def the cover for the manifold? Yea you can take off the cover, it will review your pipes...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you haven't taken it off yet? is it still making the noise?

Taking off the cover, i'm not sure if it will damage the manifold but i'm sure it won't because as you said yourself, its only a cover...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ nickyboy - Can you explain to me your problem please so I can compare if your problem was exactly like my problem please...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Unique - Make sure it is the mainifold cover, i had a ratlling noise @ 4000 rpm coming from the bottom of the engine n that was due to having no oil and still driving (n00b) which then cost me £300 to repair :cry: .

Though it could be anything like a loose bolt or something im not entirely sure. Good luck though gettin it sawteeeeed !

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
mr.unique said:
so you haven't taken it off yet? is it still making the noise?

Taking off the cover, i'm not sure if it will damage the manifold but i'm sure it won't because as you said yourself, its only a cover...
not took it off yet was just gona put a post up asking about it then i saw this 1

-- 29 Oct 2008, 19:09 --

nickyboy said:
I'd keep it on TBH, it`s there for a reason.
I had the same problem, I removed it and put it back nice and tight, rattle gone
if i take it off it wont go back on because the metal is completely coroding away around the bolt , do you think if i took it off , took it into work grinded away all the shit and weld a new bit of plate over it with a hole in it for the bolt that there will be any probs ? has it got to be a specific kind of metal ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
my ej9 was exactly the same, the bolts were rusted through and it was rattling, so i took it off, apart from more heat in the wrong place, it hasnt blown up yet (touch wood) maybe invest in some heat wrap?? i did have a scout for a replacement but no luck finding anything.... i'll PM you if my car explodes/sets on fire/melts/etc

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A Question...

I've noticed in some people's engine bay that I can see their clean 4-pipe manifold.
Why is it that they haven't got a cover/heatshield on it?

P.s. They have a new manifold btw...

Back on to the topic;

I checked my engine bay today and revved it abit as it was rattling at a point but now its gone. Maybe it was a loose bolt which might of got knocked back into place. If it comes up again, i'll inform you's all :mrgreen:

.unique

-- 30 Oct 2008, 15:39 --

Damn...

Rattling still happening...

I checked the cover for the manifold in the engine bay and it seemed tight, wasn't loose whatsoever.

What can it be?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Most after market sports manifolds don't have heat shields on.

So you are revving your engine hard with the throttle cable while looking in your engine bay, and you can't see where it's coming from?!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ Alec - I did that the other day but not for long. It seem like it was coming from the left-hand side of my engine.

@ mathewp80 - I'm sure I have plenty of oil left but i'll check on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers buddy. Still haven't checked my oil yet. Will do tomorrow.

-- 05 Nov 2008, 03:38 --

Hey all,

Checked my oil today and it was in between the Min - Max markers.
What else can it be? When driving, I heard the noise coming from my driver side window and judging from my hearing, i'd say its from underneath.

Noise is occuring at 2,000 revs now :evil:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts