Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m posting this in desperation!!
I have a Honda Civic circa 1995 with what I believe is a factory fitted sunroof, it has a Japanese name on it. It has been working fine until the other day, but now won’t close the last inch.
The electric motor works fine pushing the sunroof forward and backward, but stops an inch short of closing. I have lubricated all the tracks with WD40 and let it soak overnight, but it still wont shut. Being an oldish car its not worth buying a new sun roof or the perhaps even the cost of a garage repair
I have tried to find more information on the Internet but have drawn a blank. If It can be fixed then I would be happy if I could just close it and make it weather tight and not use it in future Perhaps you know a resource on the Internet that might help.
I would really appreciate it if anyone could advise what the problem might be or how I could fix it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you tied the manual closer? Should be located in the centre of the headliner behind the sunroof under a plastic bung. I think you need the cranking tool from the original toolkit though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding.
Yes i have now found the manual closer as you decsribed
Its an allen key fit so i have tried to close it this way, but no joy, still stops in exactly the same place.
I can open it up easily enough with the manual closer but not fully close it.

From memory i think when it gets to a certain point, the glass moves downward and forward to seal against the bodywork. So i wonder if there is something else broken or siezed? I have used all my strength on the manual closer, even bending the allen key but it just will not budge beyond the last inch.

When I first had the problem the glass was rubbing very slightly on the metal roof at the rear end, but since ive applied the wd40 this has stopped.

The sunroof is made by yachiyo industry co ltd which i think is a subsiduary of Honda. I've tried looking on the web but cant find anything specific about theor sunroofs

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmm sounds like part of the mechanism has siezed then, at a guess (yours is a slightly different design from mine) if one of the cables had snapped the manual closer would just spin so more likely the tracks are the problem. Further investigation would really involve removing the headliner :p . If its totally screwed you should be able to source some bits from the scrappy, or search about for a cheap/used sunroof plug kit maybee?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does the manual winding tool look like on the version you have?
Yes its pissible there could be something wrong at the back end of the track as it was initially rubbing on the roof. Maybe its come out of the track or something that run in the track has worn?
I also thought there was some sort of flap that operated when its put in the rear up position rather than being fully open?
Mine has two settings, tilted up at the back to let some air flow in with all the glass still in place. Alternatively can be opened right up and all the glass retracts into the headliner.
Is it a big job to remove the headliner do you know. I expect you have to remove the interior light first?
BTW whats a sunroof plug kit?

·
Registered
59 Posts
My winding tool is long gone but I suspect it was just a big cranked allen key, your roof does sound very similar to mine in operation (uk '96 M series) thought 5th gen were different for some reason. Mine has a slide switch to go back and a button to tilt up. My roof is one of the few working bits of electrics left on my car so I have not had a good poke around it yet; concentrating on my manked front windows- had the doors apart 5 times already!
Removing the headlining should not be a technically difficult job just time consuming and a bit of a faff to get all the pillar trims off probably. There's a thread on here about it somewhere I will try and find it.

Sunroof plugs (literally just a blanking plug) are popular for track civics as they remove a lot of weight from the roof and improve the centre of gravity etc. They are usually carbon fibre :cash: but I have seen fiberglass and weld on systems for other cars (no idea how good/expensive/watertight/noisy they are though).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help really appreciated.
Have now managed to close it manually by using a longer allen key with more leverage. The rubber seal had snagged on the roof and that was stopping it moving forward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts