Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a '96 Civic LS (1.6 non-vtec 5dr hatch) and have found that it seems to really dislike going round corners. I know its not a performance car but to be honest its actually quite scary how bad it is at times.
My question is what would you lot reccomend to improve it. I dont want a harsh ride and want to keep this a low-budget car. I was thinking of finding someone breaking a vti-s of the same shape and getting the shocks and springs. Good/bad idea? Any other budget suggestions would be great.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
how much are you looking to spend??

stiffen it up a bit with strut braces and ideally coilovers, but if you dont have that kinda money, like you said try get shocks

and springs off another civic with a slightly tougher suspension!!

Edit:

probs best place to get the 2nd hand suspension would be ebay or a honda breakers,

you will have to ask around on here though as to what car you want the suspension off as i know little about other cars

bar my own lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can look at some anti roll bars at some point.

Short of attacking the shocks and springs and poly bushing it's the biggest change you can do to improve the handling.

You might have arms already equipped to take anti roll bars, I'm not sure don't know EKs that well.

Something like a stock EK4 bar up front and an 18mm whiteline out back or similar will make it MILES better ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do you have large heavy wheels? If so bin em so you have cash to spend on suspension.
TBH the cheap option would be new bushes, 12 year old ones will be worn/podgey/perishing by now and give sloppy handling, BUT they are usually a pain in the arse to fit. Once you have done them though, the difference and the satisfaction are worth it :cool:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
yea having tyres with good tread always does wanders for your handling!!

bet this thing handles like a beast!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like people have said tyres play a major part in handling! if your running some budget tyres on there then traction is a big problem, also when choosing to change the suspension you need to consider spring rates! if the rates are to stiff then it will make the car handle like shit, i'd serjest going with something like 340lbs Front and 260lbs rear, another factor you need to consider is the height of the car, you go slamming it to the ground your handling will be again shit, as this throws all your camber out (less of the tyre on the road!) hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts