Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Re: VTEC Controller

firstly the engine is designed for the vtec point so changing the vtec point means changing the rest of the engine along with it.

1. the fuel air ratio is set for the changeover point
2. the camshaft is designed to make power after the crossover rpm
3. theres more reasons....

to properly change the vtec crossover you will need to have the engine mapped and the correct camshaft (and other parts) to correct problems associated. this will require a proper mappable ecu (at least £300 and a mapping session with a proper tuner £500+ ish) so can cost a lot to perform this. there is no point in changing the vtec point or mapping a standard car as you wont get any more power.

I dont know why you need to change it?? when accelerating away i put my cars revs below the vtec point and dump the clutch. i get zero wheelspin until it hits vtec. this is about 8 sec to 60 (timed off mpeg video)

If i dump the clutch with the revs i get wheelspin to the limiter. and lose about a second off the 60 time

The best way to get 1/4 mile times to improve traction at this point.

(This is related to a standard engine)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

oh okay fuck that, i got told about them by a friend who said there fine on a standard car i will slap him later, looks like i will get some coilovers then... xD

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

they can work but they might not do the car good! theres a crude way of adjusting the fuel air mixture to compensate but normally end up with problems later on! if honda reckon that 5500rpm is the preffered changeover then i wouldnt adjust it!
its beneficial on turbo VTEC cars as you normally map them and it will cause it to make boost that bit earlier to improve driveability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts