Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as I'm near enough completely rebuilding my car now, and I've had quite a few people asking me about it... I thought I would post up a progress thread. This will be mainly performance related stuff, but will also include a few other bits. These are parts that I have been collecting over the last year... and soon will be coming together (in time for the Torbay cruise!) .

For those of you who don't know my Civic... here it is:

Although currently, it is sitting outside my house with no engine, coolers, headlights, carbon bonnet, carbon wings, bumper or front wheels... all the parts are put away in my garage/house to save anything getting damaged while working, and to allow easier access.

(older picture... when it still had the oil cooler and wheels..)

A nice horrible mess :lol:.

----------------------------------------------------

I sourced a Darton MID sleeved B18C6 block from a seller on ITR-DC2 who lives in Kent, and had it sent to Closewise Motion engine builders in Birmingham to be newly bored and skimmed.

I picked it up a couple of weeks ago myself (happened to be the day the UK started getting heavy snow), the drive down the backlanes in my Nan's Ford Focus through half a foot of snow was... interesting.

Here is it... my new coffee table.

I had the block rebored to 85mm (81 stock liners, and 83 Darton sleeves), I was originally going to go for 84.5mm, to leave as much room as possible for future rebuilds if necessary, however I decided in the end to go with 85, as this will perfectly match my Cometic 85mm head gasket, and will also provide a tad more room at the bottom of the block for stroked rods..

As for my turbo setup I have most of the parts from my old setup:

GT30R turbocharger, best thing I've ever bought.

(Half way through wrapping... I ran out! )

This bend allows me to either run a screamer pipe (and a blanking plate), or have the exhaust plumbed back into the downpipe.

Intercooler, oil cooler and radiator... all ebay specials!

Cometic triple layer head gasket, 85mm of course.

Cometic triple layer exhaust gasket.

Moroso distributer cap.

Gates Racing timing belt (blue... they don't make any other colours... wanted pink )

more updates coming soon... I've got a lot to add, just need to organise the pictures :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: Vince's progress thread. b22c6 turbo 500bhp+

Can't see the pictures at work but will take a look when I get home! This is going to be hell of a car.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

Just seen the pictures looks good, can't wait to see this thing in the flesh!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

have to say i actually love the colour of the car!

and the build seems very appealing, am sure by the end of this i will b raring to get my own turbo build on the go!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

broonie86 said:
how much were the sleeves mate?
Hey, I bought a presleeved block to avoid the costs of the sleeves themselves, and the installation price. The sleeves are around £500, maybe more now with the current exchange rates... installation depends on where you go really, but when it comes to something like sleeves it's paramount they are done properly to be honest.

josh897 said:
have to say i actually love the colour of the car!

and the build seems very appealing, am sure by the end of this i will b raring to get my own turbo build on the go!!!
Get going on the build now dude ;)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

i would if i had the money :neutral:

intend on doing a mini-me swap on my ej9 very shortly just to speed it up a bit but no major engine swaps or boosting will take place until next year, going back to college to do a car bodywork and repair course and the ej9 will be taken off the road to get resprayed and the kit added!!
while its off id like a b16b or b18 swap with turbo build, not looking figures anything as major as 500bhp and wouldnt really have the knowledge to achieve it either! a nice 250-300bhp track car would be a dream tbh

good luck with the completion of your build, 500bhp to the front wheels?? :cool:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for all the nice replies, lot's more to come ;)

Here's something I got in the post recently....

Crower forged stroker crank. Changes the B18C6 stroke from 87.2mm to 95mm, increase the CC of the engine into just under 2.0 litre at stock bore (81mm)

Edit:

josh897 said:
i would if i had the money :neutral:

intend on doing a mini-me swap on my ej9 very shortly just to speed it up a bit but no major engine swaps or boosting will take place until next year, going back to college to do a car bodywork and repair course and the ej9 will be taken off the road to get resprayed and the kit added!!
while its off id like a b16b or b18 swap with turbo build, not looking figures anything as major as 500bhp and wouldnt really have the knowledge to achieve it either! a nice 250-300bhp track car would be a dream tbh

good luck with the completion of your build, 500bhp to the front wheels?? :cool:
Yeah fair enough really, it's easier to stick with your current engine for now. I would just skip the mini-me swap though, as you'll look back on it when you have your new engine in, and wish you saved the money to put towards the new one. What engine do you have now?

500bhp to the front wheels will be fine, people underestimate front wheel drive cars, a set of slicks for track and semi slicks for road, properly set up suspension and set boost for each gear and there should be no problems at all... or just none of that and it might be a bit more to handle, but will still be quick either way

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

lol im sure it will!!

see at the moment its an ej9 sitting with a d14a4 so a cylinder head swap with new intake mani and throttle body should hopefully give me another 25-35bhp!? which is a good bit more for what it has at the moment! not looking to splash out loads on the swap to be honest, just waiting for the right time to come when a d16y8 or z6 comes up for cheap, strip it of the parts i need and buy a conversion harness, it will be just getting it tuned which will be a waste of money in my opinion!
my ej9 is in good nick at the moment so it might well be worth my while selling it as a mini-me and buying a dirt cheap ek just for its shell as its gonna be completely stripped down anyways and seems like a waste to strip down a car in such good condition
im sure ill know what to do in due time

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

My EK is so stripped down right now, a few people have suggested getting a different Civic to do all the work to :lol:. I know mine is rust free though and I know everything on the car inside out. You should turbo the D14 :D. Well if you're going to be able to do body work and stuff yourself, like you say just get a dirt cheap ek for the project :cool:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

I have an EK shell its rather bent but still :p

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks for the offer Edd mate, I'll pass though lol.

Edit:

Carbon fibre roof skinning:

A nice tasty roll of carbon fibre .

Roof measured and carbon marked up and then cut.

Not sure yet whether or not to make it smooth and shiny, or to keep it as dry carbon. I think I'll have it lacquered and smooth, but that'll be a job for another day.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

That roof looks good, never seen that gone before.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

looks wel!! yea tbh i think it would look nicer lacquered and smoothed!!!

for the amount of people that buy carbon fibre bonnets for the looks and not the weightloss im suprised more people dont use this method!! no hassle of getting aftermarket items that probably wont have the oem fit!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This way is a LOT more hassle! The carbon fibre roll is epicly expensive and hard to get hold of. That roll you see on my ******* floor is worth about a thousand pounds. There's enough there to do like 5 roofs mind. After you've bought the weave, laid it on with resin and then gel coated it, it's going to be near the cost of just buying a carbon bonnet anyway. We had to do my roof because you can't buy them! I would have otherwise ;)

1 - 20 of 364 Posts