Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

First of all I'm a newby to this forum and Honda Vtecs
My car is a 98 Civic VTI Aerodeck with 42K on the clock FSH I'm the second owner.

I was wondering. Does using the Vtec up to the red line of 8KRPM affect engine life?

I change the oil every 6 months on all my cars. Have been using Mobil Semi synth 10W40 but this time I used Halfords own semi synth 10W40 as I got a free screw driver set haha!

I love the Vtec rush but want to keep the car a good few years (well until it dies). But a lot of friends cant beleive how high I rev the car sometimes. (love beating these jumped up diesels we seem to get nowadays)

Dont realy want to do any damage to the engine but I do drive enthusiasticly.

Also what sort of mileagae can I excpect from the 1.8Vtec lump before it strats to burn oil or something more serious?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: Using VTEC and engine life

You car should really do at LEAST 150,000 before anything goes wrong, these engine have been known to do a stupid amount of miles and still be fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks splendid news. I was hoping to hear that. I intend on keeping the car to at least this mileage if not more.

It doesnt use a single drop of oil but then its done bugger all miles so I suppose its to be expected.

I shall enjoy the Vtec scream even more now then.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I might just do that then! cool.
Any recomendations on a decent induction kit?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

A lot of people will recomend AEM and stuff like that but an ebay one will surfice TBH, after all a pipe is just a pipe and you can get a decent filter to go on it another time.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Why would vtec damage an engine sooner? You engine has been designed to rev to 8k for a reason, dont fear you engine use its potential if you require. I'd be more worried had the car been babied since new and it had ceased.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks guys using it more and more now.

with regard to Halfords oil, its actually pretty good stuff (it aint cheap!)
They buy it from the top manufacturers (I think it might be castrol) and re brand it Halfords.
We run our MX5 on the stuff as recommended by the MX5 owners club.

I've heard good things about it.

·
Registered
129 Posts

i would not trust it anyways, (even if its not cheap..LOL)
the oil is one of those things you must not save the money on

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

yeah fair comment, I do tend to agree.

Usualy go for Mobil Super S 10W40 so will probably go for that this time.

But I have heard good things about their oil so I dont think it will do any harm.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

Meh I used to run my Civic on the same oil that we used in the tractors, it was the right rating but just in a 10 gallon drum! I think it was pretty good quality oil so never had any problems and saves a fortune!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

all i can add to this is make sure its warmed up (5-10 mins after the guage shows its upto temp-then use vtec). and if you've been using vtec a bit let it cool down leaving the engine running before you switch it off. it circulates hot oil and coolant for a bit so that there are no hot spots in the engine. i normally drive slower for the last 10 mins of the journey or 5 and leave it for 5 while im unpacking the car. or listen to radio a bit longer

oil is not just a lubricant, it also acts as a coolant. hot oil left in an engine can cause hot spots in the block and head. you want the oil to flow to take the heat out of the block.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Good advice, thanks I always make sure its warmed up first but will let it cool down a bit also from now on! :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

even with the highest quality of engines, oil and cooling systems its still a good idea!

·
Registered
16 Posts

i think you guys mav be forgetting the fact that its a 1.8 Honda engine not some v10 mercedes lump! i work for honda and we use pretty much the same oil as halfords own brand so its not going to do any harm! get the car serviced properly once a year and just drive the dam thing, like someone said up the page Honda didn't design the engine so you pussy foot around at 4000rpm quivering under the V-TEC. i have a civic vti coupe 1999 and i have a V-TEC controller that kicks it in at 4000rpm and at 3000rpm when i get a dipshit in a saxo vtr waving at me!:) iv had V-TEC not working on cars before purely bacause it hasnt been used most or its life, all it takes to fix it is a quick rag up the bypass to clear it out! i burn my car everywhere and i love the sound so DONT BE AFRAID!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts