Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Unbiased View / Test Of eBay Turbo Kits

Yeah... did just now.... odd, I'll try and find another link!

·
Registered
132 Posts

wow thats quite impressive for a cheap turbo and hes got a second one on there now which is just as cheap. :)

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts

handy, shows that the Ebay kits are not AS bad as people make out. But i would still rather buy a proper kit

·
Registered
19 Posts

hey im thinking bout turbo'in my civic at xmas. my friend has a performance company and he says the ebay kits are ok but not that good. as i wanted to buy one he sed he can build me a turbo kit for 1k and will be alot better quality. i will post piks up and info when i decide topurchase 1 .

·
Registered
148 Posts

Guys dont buy any of the ssautochrome / xs power stuff, please trust me on this. They work, for a week or so.

Search out Treadstone if you are after a budget kit, think it works out about £1200 shipped. Comes with a decent cast mani, branded turbonetic turbo etc etc. You can also request different turbos depending on your goals.

EDIT : The link aint working to the kit used on that writeup, but it looks better quality than most of the stuff i have seen on ebay. Anyone have a link? This wasnt a ssac kit was it?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

Agree with GotBoost I wouldn't put an ebay kit on my car... The Greddy kit and zdyne ECU that is going on mine was around £4000 for the complete kit when new. I picked it up for £700 but it is about 3rd hand now I think. Your better off going for used decent stuff rather than new crap IMO.

·
Registered
148 Posts

You can build a reasonable priced system, some parts you can get away with cheaping out on, such as IC piping, silicone couplers, jubilee clips.

Edd - agree totally mate, second hand quality parts all the way over new shite.

On a budget - Buy a cast manifold, a branded turbo with warranty, a quality wastegate.

IME this can be done on a reasonable budget, just need to pick the right combo of parts.

Dont forget guys, these need proper tuning to last.

Edit:

Take a look at these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Treadsto ... 0110407789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a decent budget package with most of the essentials covered.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The bits not to use in most Ebay kits are shiney crap manifolds and really totally useless wrongly sized oil lines, especially return lines, other than that they are alright, I do suggest the turbos are stripped and inspected first though, whatever people say "it ain't no rocket science" if you can take a turbo off you can rebuild one! (I used a Garrett kit in mine, it cost about £60.00)

I've been running mine for 18 months @ 10 psi putting out about 200 - 220 BHP and only use mechanical cheats with not a tune in sight, I thrash it daily to work as a commuter it returns 27 MPG and the only thing that has broken / let me down is the gearbox and the headgasket both Honda parts.

But hey.... each to their own!

·
Registered
148 Posts

What are you using for ignition control? I assume your are using an FMU for fuel control?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Different Spark Plugs, adjustable cam gear, but seeing I have gone lower compression it ain't been a problem at the mo.... yeah FMU.

I will get round to a tune sooner or later, I have a couple of spare ECUs to play about with and have just bought an OB1 - OB2a harness conversion.

I just think that if you ain't pushing an engine, all this tuning hype is a lot of money for little extra gains, as I say I've double my HP and could probably go another 50 before it was a problem to my build.... especially as I don't run VTEC.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Did you set this up? Sounds like you would have pulled the timing back on the dissy ~5* ? What engine?

I'd be interested to get your car on a dyno and prove that tuning isnt 'hype'.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The dizzy was tinkered with and probably by 4 or 5 degrees sounds about right, my engine is a D16Y7, yeah dyno could be interesting!

·
Registered
148 Posts

You would make power everywhere. If interested can we take this to PM to not hijack the post further?

Craig

·
Registered
109 Posts

GotBoost said:
Guys dont buy any of the ssautochrome / xs power stuff, please trust me on this. They work, for a week or so.

Search out Treadstone if you are after a budget kit, think it works out about £1200 shipped. Comes with a decent cast mani, branded turbonetic turbo etc etc. You can also request different turbos depending on your goals.

EDIT : The link aint working to the kit used on that writeup, but it looks better quality than most of the stuff i have seen on eBay. Anyone have a link? This wasnt a ssac kit was it?
I would ordinarily agree with you on the whole XS power thing but they seem to be a rather hit and miss company. I know a couple of people in the SX community that have XS power kits on their cars and have had no issues at all, however there are a similar number of people who've bought the same kit and the manifolds have cracked and the turbos crapped themselves after a month or so of use.

I wouldn't advise buying one, but if you're on a budget and want to run low boost you could get lucky.

Although I'd still say that buy cheap buy twice applies

·
Registered
770 Posts

ive heard the same, the SX manifold seem to hold up alright. i was talking to a few members of SXOC when my car was being mapped and they had good things to say about XSpower.

wierd hay lol.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I think a lot of the earlier stuff from the states I.E. SSautochrome had problems with there turbos and their manifolds were real low quality, cast irons the only way to go!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts