Honda Civic Forums banner

Whats the best cams for my build?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Ive had my EK4 b16a2 since new 00' on a W reg, Ive always love it and had all the normal goodies fitted (Intake/zust/header ect) then i turbo'd it last year stock engine with type r springs/retainers so 9k rev limit 9psi tuned with crome.(damn awesome sleeper!!) lasted till about a month ago when i melted a ring and a bit of the piston ;) so if I needed to replace my pistons anyway I thought hell why not build the motor! and it begins!! lol

so anyway it's time to step it up a level so I'll list out where I am now and what Ive done, the car is almost done but I need the last few bit before I take it to the tuners and have it running (getting a real tune this time :D also can find out HP this time :eek: )

*Updates*

I'll keep this area for updates and what nots.

19th April
The car is fully built now but I still can't afford a tune and still haven't started her yet :cry: (No reason she can't start tho...) Once I get some money together I'll book the dyno time. Till then I'm going to respray the bumpers and sort out small things to get her looking good and ready.

20th April
After some research I've decided that the SARD 550cc Injectors won't be enough for what I need so I brought some RC 1000cc Injectors instead, What will be more then I've ever need!

27th April
Today I scored a free AEM tru-power pulley kit from a friend, So I'm going to fit them at the weekend.
I also booked the dyno time for 9th May, So as long as I get my injectors in time and wired up (there coming from the USA) I'll be-able to post dynos sheets, So watch this space!!!

3rd May
Brought a FSE (malpassi) ''power boost valve'' yesterday, Yes I know these have a bad rep but I'm going to try it out since my car going on the dyno it can be set up right and will feed the engine better on boost. Ordered a gauge for it too after I found it didn't come with one!

I also had time to make a screamer pipe today, I decided to just aim it at the front near the wheel onto the ground. Used a spacer and steel pipe the same diameter.
Since I'm getting near the end of my build Ive been changing parts to suit my changing plans lol.

18th May
Sorry I haven't made any updates been like a fat kid eatting cake! The injectors arrived along with my new 3bar MAP sensor. I've built the rest of the car and have started fixing bumpers. I also fitted a ''mugen'' style front splitter (Thx jms90)
Unfortunly I missed my dyno day and have to rebook, I'll try to get her done end of the week.

*End of Updates*

Turbo

T3 A/R .50 63?. hot
Custom made drag style eq lenth manifold
38mm wastegate
Greedy style BOV
3" full system with only mid resonator
Blueflame motorcycle can for the rearbox (Mite need to replace this soon :( )

Head

Port matched + polished
3 angle valve job
dual valve springs
valve guides bronze
titanium valve retainers
Arp head bolts

Block

JE pistons 8.3:1 *Edit: after looking at the part number i think i have the wrong pistons!! my CR is either 9:1 like the box says but i worked it to 8.2:1 :confused:
Eagle H-beam rods
Arp rod bolts
Spoon magnetic oil plug
oil adapter
race bearing kit
hi-flow oil pump B16
new OEM waterpump
Rebalanced assembly + flywheel
3 layer steel head gasket

Fuel

FSE ''Power boost valve''
RC 1000cc Injectors on stock rail.
walbro pump

Ive Sold the SARD 550 injectors/rail. With my power goal these would max out.

TRANSMISSION

lightened OEM flywheel < May be for sale if it's ok......read later post about clutch slipping.
EXEDY stg 2 clutch< same as above....exedy stg2 + 20psi = no grip
Now upgraded with
Fidanza 3.4kg Flywheel
6 Puck stg 3 clutch
quaife ATB diff<After ALOT of testing this is now one of my honda MUST BUYS F**King awesome. heard the OBX copy is good to... (I wish I had changed the final drive at the same time :( ) PS WTB 4.7 or 4.9 final drive!! pm me

IGNITION

race leads
cooler plugs (NGK/Denso depends what I buy at the time)

Other

P28 RUNNING ECTune!!! loving it over crome.
Torque damper < gay ebay buy that snapped buy a decent one not ebay £60 job.....
GM 3 bar map
quick shift
boost/oilpress/AF guage
AEM Tru-Power Pulley kit - Got given free :mrgreen:

Ok, Ive found so pics from after I melted the ring so I'll start a sort of ongoing pictorial starting with how my civic started (after first turbo fitting anyway)

This is the head when I was giving a quick clean before I removed the valves.

Next we have my melted piston, not sure what went wrong the A/F was spot on when tuned but it was a street tune..lasted about 10 months tho...

Boost/oil pressure gauges in glowshift surround, no too fond of pillar pods

My car after the melted piston before the build.

Got the new pistons/rods in.

My screamer pipe made from a hand rail and a wastegate spacer.

My new ''Power boost valve'' It runs low pressure in vacuum and high @ no vac/boost. I hope it will make my duty cycle on boost lower and save me running higher pressure at idle.

Looky what turned up!!

I used resistors instead of a resistor box.

The engine is now fully done it's time for the dyno :) :) :) :D

Coming soon

Bodywork tidy up,
Bigger brakes,
Coil-overs,
Dyno tuned with eCTune

Future plans

New GT30R ball bearing Turbo. 4th june edit: found a GT32 67 trim cheap gonna try that soon.
Full race or better manifold.
AEM Fuel rail / Intake.
Another tune :mrgreen:

comments, advice, criticisms welcome.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: Taking my sleeper to a new level (ek4 b16a2)

Sounds like a wicked build, how much boost do you want to run?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm after 15PSI as a daily then 20+ for the track. I have no cam but i'll try to get some pic on my phone. at the moment the car is just a rolling shell :cry: but i have the block and head being put together :D

I did notice these very few guys in uk that have going the whole hog and turbo'd there civic to a good spec but i really need help with cams, Ive been told the ITR Intake cam will be good for my but other have said the zust cam is what i want?? any ideas guys? i could even go for skunk2 or other aftermarket one but that will delay my build (im broke lol) or will the std cam with some camgears work well?

I'm very mechincaly skilled but i'm not a cam guy i just change them lol, i don't know what sort of cam will be good for my build without to much over run...

·
Registered
72 Posts

very VERY tidy, just what i wanted to do when... and if i get my arse in gear and scramble together some cash for it, keep up the good work! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
updates guys got a few new bits and still waiting on injectors :( if they don't get here next week I'll miss my dyno appointment. Once i get it all installed I'll post more pics, I want to clean up my bay and start on the bumpers/paint.

Edit:

Been looking at new exhausts cus the new 3" is too loud. Anyone know the inner diameter of the buddyclub spec IV? is it any good? I like to be silent cruising.

Also I like the look of this lip. CF type r rear spoiler and bumper.

Look good or it over the top? I like the stock look but the jun bumper looks smooth and has the fogs.

And how about some of this for track days!
http://www.aaoil.co.uk/racing-Sunoco-GT-PLUS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
298 Posts
They make boost gauges which only go up to 10psi? :eek:

Build looks good, although a power boost valve seems pretty pointless IMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vince said:
They make boost gauges which only go up to 10psi? :eek:
Well if you could see it front on, it has -30Mhg for vac then goes round to 30psi........

and soody my surround is from glowshift and fitted perfectly with no mods.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm hoping around 400 @15 psi 500 @ 20+psi but i'm not sure if the turbo is upto the job, What ever i can squeeze outta the turbo really......till i can afford another turbo/manifold and retune.

I'm guessing i'll hit 400bhp easy enough but i doubt the turbo will push much more then that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds good. If you're out of cash why not stick with stock cams for now, they are easy enough to change at a later date, and after market ones aren't crucial to the build nor for making high numbers. I'm using only stage 1 Skunk2 cams.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Vince said:
Sounds good. If you're out of cash why not stick with stock cams for now, they are easy enough to change at a later date, and after market ones aren't crucial to the build nor for making high numbers. I'm using only stage 1 Skunk2 cams.
Have to agree, at least you will have driven it and can then look for cams to suit certain rev ranges.... to give a bit of oomph where (and if) needed :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
To be fair, a lot of people are saying Skunk2 Stage 3 cams in the poll, but as cams for N/A engines are a lot wilder I reckon that'd be pretty over the top and probably wouldn't do you any favours... if you look into it Skunk2 do actually offer 2 different sets of cams designed specifically for Turbo conversions, and the turbo 2 set seem to be a good spec for the power you want, although obviously you'll have to upgrade the valve train too. If you want inlet and exhaust specs for them drop me a PM on here ;)

As Vince said though, your stock cams wouldn't be a problem for this build, and would probably give a decent spread of power so I'd probably be inclined to just build and and take a look at how and where the power is delivered before making any adjustments to the cams.

But then I guess the argument against leaving the cams is that if you do decide to cam it later on, then you'll be working on the head again when you've only just put it back together lol, and that'd be a pain in the ass. Ah well, whatever happens it's your car and these are just my opinions dude, looks like a sweet build so far and I can't wait to see her running, fair play to ya :) Get some videos up when you make it to the Dyno ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The cam Ive seen the skunk2 turbo cams but them seem extreme, I also looked at the blox turbo cams they look more suitable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
until u get the cash if ur waiting on it, go with the stock cams they do the job nicely, once u get the moneys together get the skunk2 stage 3, theyl make a diffrence on the power ur after.

ps 400bhp on 15psi?? size turbo u got gt40? hehe

1 - 20 of 36 Posts