Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as i love my B16A2 i heard that SOHC VTEC engines are harder to blow than a DOHC VTEC engine due to their rev-limiter being lower...

Im not sure this is true but its a fair arguement

Do you think the statement is true ???

I personally think there equal when it comes to blowing them up (bone stock, no turbo or supercharger) becuase VTEC was made to give a boost at 5,500 rpm surely they wouldnt put it this high if the engines couldnt handle it.. The D16Z6 & D16Y8 are bullet-proof engines and can handle high revving but the DOHC was made to be quicker than the SOHC.. soo i was wondering do you think the statement of SOHC VTEC engines are harder to blow than the DOHC 1's

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
blow? as in not as reliable??

i doubt either of them will blow. as long as they are serviced i dont see a problem with either!

d series are for ecomony so normally wont be driven as hard. but then most people cant afford b series engined cars so get ragged just as much!

i drive mine slow most of the time (fuel prices) so its smooth. when i do drive fast it gets all the abuse i can throw at it. have no problems either. doesnt use any oil at all. 57k miles though.

with turbo's the d series takes to it better as it has a lower compression ratio more suited to turboing. but its easy to blow an engine not designed for it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
the slower the car the harder it gets ragged

and nickyboy you made the right choice the only thing i can make from pwn is pee wee nick (sorry)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yeah thats true in a way the slower they are the harder you thrash them. My mate used to have a 1.0 uno and we used to thrash the shit off that. Another mate had a 1.0 metro and that didn't have a rev limiter on it. He got 80 MPH in 2nd gear! It must have been doing about 12,000 rpm or something stupid lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
i cant do word things like that. and if you can swear then swear (im sick of biting my tounge bloody kids)

we dont condone street races on this site ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
please accept my druken apoilgise im sharing this pc with the other half we are both talking sh!t on it to a few people at the mo.
just got the brats to sleep after hours of trying to tire them out and im more tierd than them.
im off login off so not to embarass myself much more

1 - 20 of 25 Posts