Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, not sure if this has been posted already (couldnt find it). If any subscribers to total Honda are awaiting copies of the mag, then I have sad news. One of our Team on Civic5 was checking up on where there next mag was, and and found the following statement on Total Car Magazines website (the company behind Total Honda, and the other Total mags)

This is the website for Total Car Magazines Limited.

The company has entered into voluntary liquidation and has appointed liquidators to deal with the Company’s affairs.

Any queries should be sent in writing to MLM Solutions, 3 Michaelson Square, Livingston, EH54 7DP.

The Liquidators will be writing to all creditors in due course.
Sad times for all Honda fans. :thumbdown:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,742 Posts
Heard about this a couple of weeks back, looks like my subscription won't be honoured then! Good job it wasn't expensive. It doesn't surprise me, can't fault them for trying but I think printed media is all but dead now. People can get the same as a magazine online for free, times are changing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
Hear hear to that Sean... Walks into the magazine section and can't find one for under £4.50 now. F*ck that. They're not even thick. Banzai and Jap Performance I used to buy often but I just can't justify it anymore.. especially when I can get my fix on the internets. That money can go in my petrol tank or on a bloody good book if I want to read.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
Green said:
Hear hear to that Sean... Walks into the magazine section and can't find one for under £4.50 now. F*ck that. They're not even thick. Banzai and Jap Performance I used to buy often but I just can't justify it anymore.. especially when I can get my fix on the internets. That money can go in my petrol tank or on a bloody good book if I want to read.
For £4.50?

You'll be bloody lucky.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
Effi said:
Heard about this a couple of weeks back, looks like my subscription won't be honoured then! Good job it wasn't expensive. It doesn't surprise me, can't fault them for trying but I think printed media is all but dead now. People can get the same as a magazine online for free, times are changing.
But can they? Really?

Yes you get news, pics and such but the standard of journalism is amateurish at best. It's often never presented as a coherant writeup but rather a thread on a forum or such. Magazines still have a place however printed media is living on borrowed time.

I used to be sceptical but with the amount of folk owning tablets or just computers the digital vs print debate is a no-brainer. Plus, you don't end up with stacks of magazines taking up space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,742 Posts
I think they can. Its about finding the right sources. In my opinion some of the journalism in the magazines such as Total Honda wasn't a great example, I don't think those involved were really professionals they were just better than the average Joe at writing about cars and had passion for what they were trying to achieve.

In all honesty, when looking at cars I don't need the journalism to be epic. I want pictures, a spec list and a run down of the history of the car and any ideas for the future, beyond that its really wasted effort for my interests. In an enthusiast magazine you don't need much beyond that, such as history of the model, specific trim levels or rare engines etc as generally speaking the reader already knows this. If the source wants to educate the reader then it should be done in a specific section rather than repeated on each cars feature.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,193 Posts
Hate to be a twat but what happens with the rest of the subscription?

I wonder if the copies we have will be worth a bit in 20 years time! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,742 Posts
Those with subscriptions are now essentially creditors to the company, as they've gone in to liquidation everyone will be in a queue for what's owed. Their biggest creditors will be dealt with first, our subscriptions are so far down the list we won't get a penny. Even those who are owed large amounts will only end up with something daft like 10p on the pound. Its a joke really.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
Squirrelking said:
Green said:
Hear hear to that Sean... Walks into the magazine section and can't find one for under £4.50 now. F*ck that. They're not even thick. Banzai and Jap Performance I used to buy often but I just can't justify it anymore.. especially when I can get my fix on the internets. That money can go in my petrol tank or on a bloody good book if I want to read.
For £4.50?

You'll be bloody lucky.
Erm... You can actually. Easily in fact. And I'm not ashamed to say I buy most of my books from charity shops. You find some crackers, for example I picked up what appeared to be a brand spanking new hardback copy of Sharkey Ward's Seaharrier Over The Falklands for a wallet aching £1.25. And I've got numerous other books of similar fate, not just novels either.

You can occasionally find some good offers on though. There's a bookstore near me, on Lord Street, Southport and they're always having clear-outs and you get loads for dirt cheap lol And just the other day I was looking at 2 novels for 5 quid in tesco.. Not glamorous, but there were some good books in the selection, not many like but some. To me, a magazine or 2 novels which I liked the look of for 50p more?? No brainer. Don't care what anyone says.. £4.50 for a piss thin mag is shameful.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
I meant from mainstream sources which, to be fair, if you pay top dollar you're a mug. lol

Charity shops ftw.

Effi - it's all well and good for you and I to do a writeup but lets face it - we can't get into the likes of SEMA, we can't just go jetting off to Japan for road tests or such and the chances of us getting behind the wheel of a prototype or demo vehicle are slim to nil. To do that you need credentials and in order to get them you need to come from a known source.

One thing I noticed through the years of relying on online sources for bike info and such is the sheer lack of knowledge that comes with some writeups, that's the price you pay for not having an editor that knows their stuff. I once had a WTF moment when reading a review of some guy making up bearing packs. According to the idiot making these up he knew far better than years of experience from the likes of NKG, SKF, FAG and the rest and would pull the sealed grease covers off, fill them up and then fit them back on. Anyone who knows anything about bearings will tell you this is the absolute last thing you should do as over filling quickly leads to premature failure. Had someone been knowledgable enough on the technical side during the editing it would never have went out and the idiot managed to get business from more than a few folk that didn't know better.

That's why I don't mind paying a bit extra for premium content; it's isn't always right but more often than not the people writing it know a lot more than the amatuer web writer. Let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time I've dived into a topic that's been up for ages and touted as gospel that is nothing but absolute shite.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,607 Posts
Green said:
Erm... You can actually. Easily in fact. And I'm not ashamed to say I buy most of my books from charity shops. You find some crackers, for example I picked up what appeared to be a brand spanking new hardback copy of Sharkey Ward's Seaharrier Over The Falklands for a wallet aching £1.25. And I've got numerous other books of similar fate, not just novels either.

You can occasionally find some good offers on though. There's a bookstore near me, on Lord Street, Southport and they're always having clear-outs and you get loads for dirt cheap lol And just the other day I was looking at 2 novels for 5 quid in tesco.. Not glamorous, but there were some good books in the selection, not many like but some. To me, a magazine or 2 novels which I liked the look of for 50p more?? No brainer. Don't care what anyone says.. £4.50 for a piss thin mag is shameful.
You should get on Amazon! I've downloaded about 150+ books since I got my kindle in June last year and roughly 3/4 of those were free!
Glad they annouced this before december I was thinking of buying Carl a car related magazine subscription for Christmas, but I don't think i'll bother now, he gets most of his car porn in the same place he gets his regular porn anyway lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
I like good old fashioned paper when it comes to books, Meg... I've always had a bit of an aversion to Kindles, but I've never used one so can't say. The fact you can get so many free books on it sounds good.

MJay said:
he gets most of his car porn in the same place he gets his regular porn anyway lol
lol!Click-click Scroll-scroll.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,607 Posts
Haha! I know what you mean, I had similar thoughts initially. I wouldn't be without mine now though I took it travelling, on the train, plus it doesn't need charging all that often. One thing I used to hate about books was having to switch sides every time I flipped a page, used to give up reading just because I got annoyed at having to move around so much lol You don't get shadows cast on the page either since there's only the one page, and you can't read ahead to find out what's happening next, which I used to do all the time lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
Read ahead?! I don't know, are you one of these people who eat their advent calender chocolates days before they should? Because I never have that problem. It's a magical thing I like to call SELF CONTROL lol

Anyway, you should bring your Kindle to the next meet and I'll read a few pages of something (Fifty Shades will do if that's all you have on it :shifty:) and I'll decide whether I need the extra tech in my life or not. I do admit that unless a thick book is precisely half-way through it can be a pain to get comfortable with, but that's how I know if it's a page-turner or not. If it isn't that good a book then I just get fed up and throw it at the wall lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,607 Posts
Pmsl there's more than just that on there! & forget self control why buy advent calendars anyway! I buy tonnes of chocolate at Christmas lol Why limit yourself to just one, it's the season of indulgence! I'll bring it with me to JF'13 and you can have a peruse, they are awesome - and i'm not just saying that because I'm a huge Amazon fangirl lol!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot Fifty Shades was a trilogy... :eek: That'll be cool then.. JF is only about 6 months off lol I'll take some convincing though. Not sure looking at a screen is going to have the same feel than a good ol' fashioned book.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,607 Posts
You'll see lol they worked quite hard at making them similar, plus I have the old black and white Kindle (Kindle Keyboard) which helps to make it authentic, they don't even sell it anymore; mine was bought before they installed 3G on them so I only have Wifi. I want the new Kindle Fire HD! Trying to persuede Carl to buy it for me for Christmas lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
Are you getting paid for this little pitch? :eek: If not, you should.. I imagine due to the daily traffic on this forum you've just assisted in the sale of about 50 Kindles lol
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top