Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have a eg esi and when i brought it they said the timing belt/ cam belt had been changed but out of peace of mind i would like 2 do it me self.

just wondering if there are any out there that are stronger and more durable then others or are they pretty much the same, if there is which one is the best to go for?

thanks alot

:p

·
Registered
249 Posts
I dont think they have different grades of cam belt. They usually come in a kit with the tensioner, if you don't replace the tensioner it can eventually sieze. You can usually tell if a belt has been changed recently by looking at it, it's thicker and the teeth are perfectly round. As they wear the back gets thinner and smoother and you can see tiny surface cracks.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
there are only 5 companys that make cam belts there just branded different
as for wear you can only really tell by removing it and looking at the teeth to see if there cracked
the profile of the teeth generally does not alter , nor do they thin out
they do shine up on the back and do show cracking on the back when there absolutely fucked .
just change it for piece of mind you know where you have started from then .

·
Registered
249 Posts
I take it there's no receipt for the last belt change then? How the belt wears depends largely on the driving style, boy racers will alter the tooth profile over time and shorten the life, conversely Just doing mainly motorway miles will mean it will last a lot longer than short journeys. An inspection once a year is usually enough. I've had a belt slip a tooth and one shear the teeth off completely wrecking the head on an old GTI, I now check the belt over as soon as I buy a car!

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Phatman said:
How the belt wears depends largely on the driving style, boy racers will alter the tooth profile over time and shorten the life, conversely Just doing mainly motorway miles will mean it will last a lot longer than short journeys.
sorry this is not true boy racers will not alter the tooth profile ,
where are you getting this info from its total tosh
the only thing that shortens the life of a belt is adverse conditions such as dirt / oil or any other contamination that will effect the belts durability
it makes no difference how fast or hard you drive a car ,
the only thing that is slightly true is that a car (any car or driver) will have more stress placed on the belt at start up (from cold) due to things on the valve drive train being stiffer when cold due to the oil being thicker etc ,
so a long motorway journey will place less stress on a belt than a stop start life but in the real world this make very little if no difference at all .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Driving style has a significant effect on the life of a cam belt I thought that would be obvious. Where am I getting the idea about tooth profile wear? 20 years of car maintanance, oh and Honda's own workshop manual:

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
oh i must be wrong then
as you have 20years of what was it car maintenance and a honda book ,
so why , whats the reason then as i know nothing about cars ive only been pissing around for the last 20 years in the trade and held down the same job since i left school ,
oh yeah and i am the person in the workshop that does 99% of the cam belts so you can say ive done in and around 500- 800 belt changes so far in my time to date and no come backs or job failures to date ,
so i ask again what makes you say that a belt is going to wear any faster on a car thats driven harder on normal roads to a car thats driven round by miss daisy

your diagram also shows nothing new all belts wear on the drive side i dont see what the diagram has todo with this discussion .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes Alec you are wrong mate, driving style does effect both belt wear and its life span. Someone who constantly accelertates hard will wear the belt more quickly as will constant city driving, conversely a business rep driving cruising on the motorway will get much more mileage out of a belt - fact. Saying that how you drive a car has no effect on its parts is ridiculous. The diagram shows that you should check the edge of the teeth for uneven wear which you don't seem to acknowledge. I'm sure your garage is the best in the world.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Phatman said:
Yes Alec you are wrong mate, driving style does effect both belt wear and its life span. Someone who constantly accelertates hard will wear the belt more quickly as will constant city driving, conversely a business rep driving cruising on the motorway will get much more mileage out of a belt - fact. Saying that how you drive a car has no effect on its parts is ridiculous. The diagram shows that you should check the edge of the teeth for uneven wear which you don't seem to acknowledge. I'm sure your garage is the best in the world.
right firstly my name is PAUL the clue is in the user name (good start to your defense :rolleyes: and your observation skills)
you said driving like a boy racer would cause more wear on the belt , next thing your saying start stop driving does ,
i agreed with the start stop driving but not with the boyracer or driving hard comment it turns a cam which actually at high revs is easier to turn because the cam lobes at higher speeds or evened out and in turn make the cam smoother to turn,
stop start driving yes as ive already said as cold engines require more force to turn component as initial start is with out oil pressure so you basically get a slight tightness from cold and the intial start of the cam pressing the valves,
motorway journeys also dont cause so much strain on engines in general for obvious reasons im not arguing with that ,
but nowhere have i ever seen a belt more worn because of general hard use on the ROAD ,
and your diagram shows nothing new all belts wear on the drive edge again as i have already said they also crack in the teeth creases wear teeth mould to the belt which is where 99% of failures start not throu tooth wear.
and as a note we are not talking about general engine wear we are talking specifically about cam belt wear.
And one last thing if you would like to slag my familys garage further where i have worked for 20years and has been in buisness for 46years im sure our solicitor would be happy to take you up on your offer of slander and defamation of character as your final line is obviously leading in that direction
The balls in your court.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm and stabbing the accelerator cable like a boy racer won't put any more strain on the cambelt - lets forget physics then! Sorry I got your name wrong, an honest mistake (I can admit my mistakes) but where on earth did I slag off your garage, talk about paranoid, you need to chill out mate.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Phatman said:
So dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm and stabbing the accelerator cable like a boy racer won't put any more strain on the cambelt - lets forget physics then! Sorry I got your name wrong, an honest mistake (I can admit my mistakes) but where on earth did I slag off your garage, talk about paranoid, you need to chill out mate.
No more than your grandma at tesco in her corsa bouncing off the rev limiter as she lets the clutch bite in for quarter of a mile ,
physics you say! i have already explained that a cam turning at high speed takes less force than a than a slow moving cam what more physics do you want ,
also the cam is only ever turning at half engine speed so 2500 rpm cam speed is nt exactly mind boggling is it.
im not discussing this any more its getting fucking stupid as you also are not willing to listen to reason as you know everything
so i cant tell you anymore anyway .
and the comment "I'm sure your garage is the best in the world."was definately leading towards the abusive road i know whats coming next ,and as i worked and trained there from the word go it obviously the garages fault so where else would my train of thought be leading ?
and your not willing to take anything i say even remotely as possibility as you are that sure your right there is no reason to discuss this any further,
we are just going round in circles and i have better things to do than argue with you.
i will let people who read the post come to there own decisions (as you have )and all regulars know i dont spout off rubbish for the sake of making up my post count im here to help if i can, no other reason
and if i dont know i wont give advice

thanks its been fun :rolleyes:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Paul. People can have different views on subjects based on their own experience, that's what makes us all individual. I answered the original post to give what I believed to be useful information before being told I was talking 'total tosh', what do you expect me to do just sit back and take it? I don't like your aggressive attitude which I find at odds with being a moderator. But, yes, let's leave it to others to judge the thread.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Im not aggresive ,
i put it how it is thats how i am and if people dont like it well the dont have to speak back,
as for being a moderator i dont get what that has to do with anything its something we do for the forum it takes a lot of time and effort and at the end of it its done as a favour to Alec and Skinny to try and keep things in order and try and regulate the info givin and keep things tidy ,
as at the end of the day if theres false info given and its originated here well as they say bad news travels fast and bad reputations are hard to shake
at the end of it thats why im here and every other mod,
crickey i dont even own a Civic and never will :D
So we wont fall out over it and may our paths cross again just dont mention cambelts lol .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.