Honda Civic Forums banner

7341 - 7360 of 7360 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
My insurance didn't drop at my renewal. So I quickly called around got it £100 cheaper and got Brentacre to price-match. But it is frustrating that they're not offering the best price in the first place. It's just a method of bleeding their customers of as much money as they possibly can. And the fact I was rushed into my renewal means I probably could have found a better priced policy but I didn't have the time to piss around.

I still like Brentacre though, they're a dream in comparison to my last insurance because you can actually talk to them about mods without them freaking out. Adrian Flux are good too.. and have given me good quotes. I probably should have gone with them this year but never mind.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
I was with Sky a couple of years ago and they were OK but when i did my engine swap they no longer covered them, now they use a different underwriter and can offer engine swap cover again. Everything is the same as well, fully comp, protected NCB, all like for like replacement parts. I just hate the approach that they'll only give you a better rpice if you find it elsewhere, we get it all the time with suppliers at work "I want to sell you something can you tell me what you pay for it and I'll match it", well its the same cost so why would I use you when the competitor got their price right in the first place? We'd be a damn site busier if we could do with with our clients but they'd just laugh like we do at our suppliers.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Looks like Brentacre and Flux will be on my check list come renewal in a couple months time. I'm pretty much at my limit with Admiral now any more mods they will just say goodbye, I already had to go for the lowering up to 5cm option ;) When I asked how much extra it was for 6cm-12cm they said sorry we don't insure that amount :wtf: I thought, why give me the option in the first place then?!

It really pisses me off having to "shop around" every time! I would just like to insure my car and deal with a company that doesn't need to know every single engine/suspension modification. Wasn't it you Sean that had a cap of so much power and it didn't matter what you did as long as it was under the limit? I would love that arrangement, it'd be worth paying a bit more than the next cheapest company for imo, you'd make it back from lack of policy change charges lol

Just put in an order at myshowplates for a jap sized 12" x 6" rear plate and a rear show plate too. I had to pay an extra £3.50 for special delivery as I should have ordered these last week really to be safe, hopefully they see the order tomorrow. Then I'll still have to wait until Monday-Tuesday for them to get here, that gives me two days left before its too late for the show.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys

I Have a 57 plate 5dr 1.4 civic and i want to put alloys on it. Does anyone no what size I could go up2 without touching the suspension or anything??

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
WCMUT - Not only did my lip arrive today instead of Wednesday, but I got it prepped, primed and painted. Hopefully the colour match is good. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Looking good Carl.

WCMUT - Just found a new insurer as Brentacre weren't competitive and I'm not inclined to give them the business when they aren't bothered about even trying to bring the cost down without me ringing others.....Anyhow, I've just saved £100 off my renewal by going to Chris Knott, Sky were quite competitive but CK were just that bit better.

I'm disappointed with Brentacre's attitude to be honest, I know they are free to add mods which is a bonus but I just decided to declare all future mods now as its costs me no more on my premium and avoids admin charges. Once the next round of mods are done it'll be prime for a big hike in power so that'll be my next insurance challenge next year!

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Brentacre's renewal was pretty good for this year, but any car I mentioned that I'd potentially want to buy, they said they'd not cover unless I had already owned it for a year insured with someone else.

Went back to Chris Knott as they matched the quote and said they'd happily insure me on more powerful cars.

Brentacre's attitude sucked.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
I agree on that too mate. I know insurers can only be competitive when the risk is acceptable but its as if Brentacre only want the cream these days.

Its seems the way it is though, 1 company stands out and take loads of business for a couple of years, the start then having more claims so struggle to keep costs as low, or they get comfortable in their position and feel they don't have to fight as hard, other companies have to try and win the business so they start being more competitive. At the end of it, those who shop around are the winners. That £100 is being put towards my brake upgrade :D Winner!

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Just upgrading to 282's on the front with a 1" Master Cylinder and HEL Braided Lines. I was going to go with just OEM disc and pads but now I'm set on going for something along the lines of Ferodo DS2500 or Mintex M1144, just doing some research now.

I've got an open pit lane 1-5pm at Japfest 2 and after cooking the OEM 262's I need to sort the braking!

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
http://ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp

here is the pads I was talking about as an alternative to Ferrodo give them a google for reviews Vs the DS2500's the only trouble with them I see is if you want a pad to do both track and street in one pad, you are still going to have to compromise with either brake dust, cold braking and squeal, If you decided to get a set slightly more geared to track (XP8) as your initial set you could get another set at a later time for pure track use as you can switch them out without much of a bed in period and don;t need to swap out the disks.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
I was actually looking at the Carbotech's today, heard some great things about the XP12's as a track pad but are quite noisy until they are up to temp. I could live with that but as the site recommends not being used on a daily, and mine still is at the moment, I'm still looking at alternatives. They do sound really good if I were to go more track focused.

I've priced up the last bits I need and its not a bad prices. Mintex MG ZR 160 discs, Ferodo DS2500 Pads, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid (3 litre for a full flush) comes out at £212.85 inc Delivery. Not bad considering the increased braking performance, although I have already spent money on the callipers and carriers, calliper rebuild kit, master cyclinder and braided lines! All in I reckon its about £450ish upgrade!

7341 - 7360 of 7360 Posts