Honda Civic Forums banner

Tapping soung only when accelerating from 0 up to 30000 revs only 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear

• timing issue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wrong oil gearbox/engine

• wrong sparkplug

• damage ignition leads

• wrong oil pressure

• knock sensor

• NONE OF THOSE

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all
Please help me I got a tapping sound when accelerating ( similar to a diesel sound) on Honda civic 1.6 sport se Y reg (ep1or2) , engine running fine when stationary with clutch on and off no problem , as soon I move on in first gear and it get faster quicker I go , but only until 3000 rev then it’s all ok not sure why and again appear in second gear from 0-3000 revs in 3rd gear I hardly hear it but it’s still there up to 30000 revs again , 4th & 5th seams ok but road noise might over lap this sound.

I read it might be gearbox *palm* but its quiet when stationary so i hope im right and gearbox is ok :think:

after searching in net I found

timing issue
wrong oil gearbox/engine
wrong sparkplug
damage ignition leads
wrong oil pressure
knock sensor

Please help you have any ideas I don’t want to do any damage when Im driving this car , need this fixing ASAP it drive me crazy having this noise :crazy:

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Have you checked any of the potential causes as listed above to rule them out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not yet , start to rain yesterday to i could not do nothing , will start to look in to sparkplugs and ignition today , oil looks nice and clean , i will change gearbox oil this week just need to pop up to Honda and get some, , not sure have to check timing issue and knock sensor.

Also it might be that a valve clearance is wrong , (im not really up to speed with car mechanics)

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Check the simplest things first to rule them out and then work from there. The valve clearance is the most unlikely IMHO. With timing then its simple enough to nip it to a garage and let them hook up a timing light and check for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ive got exactly the same problem with my 2005 civic sport. Its almost like a purring noise up to about 2500rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Ive also read it may be gearbox bearings... Apparently, honda uk will cover this problem if your car is no older than 7years and under 100k miles with FSH. I went in this morning to ask about this, and all they said to me was they would have to take it in for a full check over (£77) before they could say anything about warranty cover. It is a pain. Anyone else on here had any luck with honda on this problem??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jmorris90 said:
Ive got exactly the same problem with my 2005 civic sport. Its almost like a purring noise up to about 2500rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Ive also read it may be gearbox bearings... Apparently, honda uk will cover this problem if your car is no older than 7years and under 100k miles with FSH. I went in this morning to ask about this, and all they said to me was they would have to take it in for a full check over (£77) before they could say anything about warranty cover. It is a pain. Anyone else on here had any luck with honda on this problem??
Yeah i worry if it is gearbox bearings but it sould make noise when stationary as well as driving (thats what i read) and only disaper when pressing clutch pedal , but i might be wrong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ive got some 2nd hand g/boxes if interested? Pm me for more info/ check part numbers. Cheers n good luck with fault finding, nik

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
replace spark plugs , no difference

I notice that sound apper only when pressing accelerator , is I hold it in one possition thenevrything is normal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello,

There are a number of videos on You Tube of the noise of a worn/broken main shaft bearing. Have a listen and see if your's sounds similar - I have heard the noise described in may ways, so it is best if you have a listen on You Tube first. Hopefully it might eliminate the mainshaft problem.

A tapping sound to me means a lighter, higher pitched noise as oposed to a lower rumble or knocking. Is that the noise you are hearing ?

Does the noise only sound when the car is moving in gear ? What happens if you coast down a hill in neutral, and then with the clutch depressed ?

cheers
Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it’s more like a lower rumble or knocking , I cannot find nothing like mine in you tube.
Car is in local garage changing oil for Honda MTF ( i cannot see it being change in history book )

timing checked -all good

my mechanic will have look after he change gearbox oil what is making this sound , i hope that oil change might cure it :think:

But knowing my luck it will be something expensive and all money what should go on mods and holiday will go away

·
Registered
196 Posts
bendzior said:
it’s more like a lower rumble or knocking , I cannot find nothing like mine in you tube.
my mechanic will have look after he change gearbox oil what is making this sound , i hope that oil change might cure it :think:
Any luck with this?

I too have a similar noise on a 6th generation Civic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you solve this problem?
There is a lot of similar stuff on honda forums, but no one said how to fix it!?

I have this same noise in my EP d16v1 (on second engine after swap) and sill no solution.
I tried everything possible ...
please help

·
Registered
562 Posts
Depending on the sound and without hearing it it's difficult to say, what you could try is running your fuel tank down and re-fuelling with a higher octane fuel ie BP Ultimate or shell power and see if the noise disappears or gets somewhat better , if that is the case it could be the knock sensor that's at fault.
Cheers Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
old cruiser said:
Depending on the sound and without hearing it it's difficult to say, what you could try is running your fuel tank down and re-fuelling with a higher octane fuel ie BP Ultimate or shell power and see if the noise disappears or gets somewhat better , if that is the case it could be the knock sensor that's at fault.
Cheers Pete
Pete, thank you for fast response

i have try everything, fuel (100 octane), spark plugs, belt timing...
and everything is OK

now i have the same problem on second engine (i have replaced first one because this knocking sound became very loud after 40tkm)

i belive that this tapping sound is conected with to high compression (mine is around 13,5 bar on each cylinder (don't know why is that high, engine have 145tkm)

funny thing is that ther is no tapping sound when i accelerating hard, only on gentle press on gas pedal up to 4000 rpm
answer to this could be that EP have two (or more maps) in ECU and in first one (for fuel saving) the map or ignition timing can't compute on that high compression that I have

that is the only reasonable explanation after consulting with many mechanics and honda experts...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, my understanding is that the ECU will retard timing on any given map if the knock sensor detects knocking. The objective is to limit damage due to knocking, which is deemed a priority. This being the case, it sounds like you may have a problem with your knock sensor, or the knocking might not be in a location/format that your knock sensor is able to detect. Good luck finding the gremlin!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I cleaned my MAF sensor, and I think there has been an improvement. The logic behind it is that ignition timing should (to the best of my knowledge) be advanced or retarded according to air mass and temperature. Please let me know about your experiences in this regard?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts