Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 EP4 civic 1.7 cdti 3dr hatchback

Hello all,

Im having a problem with a suspension type knock/rattle on the lightest of bumps....i mean like the bump strips when you approach a junction, changes in tarmac etc.

However, drive off a kerb, no knock or noise. Big bump in road, no noise.

Basically if im driving along and say I need to overtake and cross the white line in the road, the white line would cause a knock/rattle from the front.

I also experiencing a little shake on the steering wheel at higher speed.

Ive fitted new front anti roll bar drop links and anti roll bar rubber bushes. I cant feel any play. Ive fitted new wheels (fault was there with old wheels aswell) and had tyres balanced twice by a competent tyre fitter, watched them myself and I used to fit tyres.

Just wondering where to look at next, am I missing something? Strut top is my thoughts but unsure how to check. I cant feel any movement in the shock.

Thanks
Jordie

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rear arb links??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly, but sounds like front.

I know the noise will be there if i hit rumble strips or rough tarmac, and im pretty sure its instantanous with the front hitting the bumps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are the fronts on tight enough? Sounds daft but not impossible, nothing bent underneath ?suspension arm ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Everyone

I have an 05 Civic 1.7 Ctdi. I have noticed the same gremlin, and it kept irritating me for about two years. Mechanics investigated and basically indicated that they do not know after poking around. The rattle was only audible at slow speeds (less than 30mph) over cobblestone surfaces.

Be of good cheer, the remedy has been found.

I discovered one day that the rattle disappears when I touch the brakes - even very slightly. I later shook the brake caliper and discovered that it was not very tight. Only loose enough to rattle over a rough surface.

What it boiled down to, was grease on the sliding pins that hold the caliper in place. My car's pins were greased, but the grease was thin and there was not an oversupply on the pins.

So I bought some good gooey purpose-made grease from Euro Car parts, greased the pins lavishly, and re-assembled. I am happy to report that the gremlin has been gone for over a week now.

Good luck fellas (and ladies if any).

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts