Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have just bought a Honda Civic 04 plate 1.6 VTEC SE 3 door with 21,000 miles on the clock.

When going along the motorway yesterday, the steering wheel began to vibrate when i went upto approx 75mph.

Is this a common fault? If not or even if it is, can this be recitified because i can see this being quite irritating.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
In my experience (granted, nothing like Pauls) this is normal. The wheel shakes at that speed (sometimes higher) on every car I've driven fast. How smooth was the road you were driving on?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
edd tracking wont cause a vibration , it only causes edge tyre wear inside or out , both edges is low pressure , the centre is high pressure and feathering or tread wavering is cause by worn shocks.

alec get your wheels balanced :)

honestly no vibration should be felt through the steering if everything is good ,
also you will wear out track rod ends steering joints etc due to the continuous vibration (shaking).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses so far.

So what should i do from here?

The wheel only vibrates (shakes) when doing high speeds. This used to happen on a very old Ford Fiesta i had and i think is quite common on older vehicles but this is an 04 plate and only has 21,000 miles on the clock.

What should be my next step?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alec said:
In my experience (granted, nothing like Pauls) this is normal. The wheel shakes at that speed (sometimes higher) on every car I've driven fast. How smooth was the road you were driving on?
A motorway, so pretty smooth.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
CivicWolf said:
Thanks for the responses so far.

So what should i do from here?

The wheel only vibrates (shakes) when doing high speeds. This used to happen on a very old Ford Fiesta i had and i think is quite common on older vehicles but this is an 04 plate and only has 21,000 miles on the clock.

What should be my next step?
check your wheel nuts !!
also can you drive through the vibration it may be wheel balancing or a misshaped tyre. :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will check my wheel nuts then and update later on.

I have gone upto around 90ish mph and it still shakes

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
paul20v said:
edd tracking wont cause a vibration , it only causes edge tyre wear inside or out , both edges is low pressure , the centre is high pressure and feathering or tread wavering is cause by worn shocks.
Yeah I know but its always worth getting your tracking checked at the same time as having the wheels balanced :)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
In my experience I have come across some really bad mechanics there and they usually tell you there is a lot of stuff wrong with your car when there isnt to try and make business out of you.

There was a topic on PH about it a few days ago, my dad had a bit of a run in with them messing about in his 9-5 aero a few years back (came round the corner to see it squelling with the wheels lit up out of the yard) and we as a family haven't used them since.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Good to know.

However it should probably be known that Kwik-Fit is a franchise. So it could be any old bad manager running the thing, and the next one down the road has the best service you could imagine.

For example the Kwik-Fit I've used on the Island was excellent. This must have been because the franchise owner had good business ethics, where as the franchise owner where you live doesn't.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Checked the wheel nuts and they are fine.

I've spoken to the dealership and the car is going in tommorrow to get this sorted.

To add to this, the brakes are making a noise. The dealership told me it was because they were wet and hadn't be used for 7-10 days but it hasn't disappeared since yesterday, its not a squealing noise, more of a hydraulic noise (if you know what i mean!!)

There is some rust on the brakes as well. Should this be a worry?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
would get you wheels balanced as its not a costly thing to do! its easy to lose a stick on wheel weight!

rust on the braking surface straight after driving isnt good. rust not on the braking surfaces at any point is normal and rust on the braking surfaces hours after the car has been driven is normal.

it doesnt sound like the cars done many miles. i would go and get wheels balanced and ask to check pads and disc condition. or look yourself. check the colour of your brake fluid and if its not clear get it changed. brakes wheels and tires are the things that you need to stop turn and stay on the road. keep them good and you will be okay! steering and suspension are the next things to look at.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Edd said:
In my experience I have come across some really bad mechanics there and they usually tell you there is a lot of stuff wrong with your car when there isnt to try and make business out of you.

There was a topic on PH about it a few days ago, my dad had a bit of a run in with them messing about in his 9-5 aero a few years back (came round the corner to see it squelling with the wheels lit up out of the yard) and we as a family haven't used them since.
ill second that i would never use a big company for tyres or anything , there full of idiots most of the time you will get a better service out of the little guy not the big companys as the little guy wants to keep his reputation the likes of ats and kwik fit are useless and they dont give a monkey about you
and to say they use mechanics is a bold statement , fitters at best and there no good at that :(

·
Registered
351 Posts
kwick fit are on the way out going bust cos they are run by muppets who think there mechincs.my last trip there for a backbox ended up being half a system and they fucked the down pipe. the monkey swang off it
iv had cars that do the wheel wobble and its balancing or new tyres to fix maybe a new wheel if its been curbed hard (not saying you)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts