Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have just purchased a 2003 civic 1.6 vtec with only 11500 miles after some steering niggles garage say it needs a new steering rack at a cost of £1000. although it is being fixed under warrenty thank god,can anyone tell me what would have to occur for it to be renewed after only such a low miles.thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting, how did you manage to get the rack replaced under warranty? I had a similar problem with may dad,s 2004 Civic 1.6 SE. After only 9000 miles the steering would not self centre and the driving experience was terrible. Even on a straight road you had to continuosly correct the direction of the car with lumpy adjustments. The garage said it needed a new steering rack at a cost of £999.94+vat.

The service manager contacted Honda and In view of the low mileage, Honda agreed to reduce the cost of the rack to 35%, ie £349.98+vat (as a gesture of goodwill), but not labour costs. I telephoned Honda UK customer services but they made it quite clear that this was their best offer. After exchange of a number of letters, Honda agreed to cover the full cost of the rack but not labour. By this time we had had the work done and the cost of the rack was reimbursed by the garage.

I understand that the steering rack is electric, ie no hydraulics just an electric motor, position sensors and a computer. Honda would not admit that there is an inherrant problem but Honda and garage staff have let it slip out that they are aware of other instances of this fault.

The same car now has problems with the exterior lights. If anyone thinks they can help, I will describe the fault.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem is that none of the lights will work unless headlights are turned on and main beam is selected, then all lights come on but both main beam filaments just glow dimly.
Using the headlamp flash facility gives similar results and the headlamp relays seem to be having trouble operating with a buzzing or squeeling noise. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts