Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and gals),

I am completely ignorant concerning cars but a friend of mine recommended your website. For the first time since I bought the car in september 2006 I had a problem this morning starting it. The first 3 times I tried it I just heard a dry 'click'. No engine sounds whatsoever. At the fourth try it worked.

Then I drove to work and starting it again when I wanted to drive back home worked fine. What do you recommend? Just ignore it or have something replaced? If so, what do you guys think the problem is?

I have no idea what kind of Honda civic I have but I have added a picture, maybe that helps.
If you need any more info, just ask

Thanks a lot !
Oliver

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
when you turn the ignition follow these steps

turn to point 2 and wait 5 seconds for the fuel pump to pressurise
crank and see if it starts well

if its clicking it sounds like its the motor not getting enough power (either battery is duff or isnt charging from alternator efficiently)

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum Oliver (ignore nickyboy ;))

How strange a Honda Civic not starting!!

Did you hear the starter engine go? What did you hear exactly?

·
Registered
240 Posts
you have a 4th generation 1.3 dx civic it runs on a single carb so it doesnt have a fuel pump it has a lift pump so it only pumps fuel when its cranking so that wont be your problem, first of all get somebody to check your battery with a battery tester but it sounds like your starter motor has just jammed the best thing to do is ignore it, it happens now and again but if it gets worse then just replace your starter, its quite a common problem with the 4g civics. if it happens again and your stuck somewhere just tap the side of the motor somtimes it can get it working again

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
"you have a 4th generation 1.3 dx civic it runs on a single carb so it doesnt have a fuel pump it has a lift pump so it only pumps fuel when its cranking so that wont be your problem,"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mate its still a fuel pump stop confusing the guy , it does not matter if its a mechanical or electric its still a fuel pump as its what supplies fuel to the carb,

a lift pump is similar but its called a lift pump because its a go between from tank to another pump mostly in diesel applications as the lift pump (electric/mechanical) brings fuel to the diesel distrubution pump or high pressure pump as in the case of common rail injection (diesel).

·
Registered
240 Posts
yeah but it isnt going to be the problem as he said it doesnt even crank it just clicks which is either a flat battery but he said it started after a while so it eliminates that so his starter was just jammed

·
Registered
9 Posts
arite guys i have a 1.3 civic glazier and i have a problem wen i start the car its fine for 2 secs then it just mis fires like mad and wen i try to drive it u have to keep pumpin the pedal till i get revs. i got told it was my dis cap so i changed it it worked fine until i put the foot down and it did it again :( wat should i do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts