Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted a quick heads up on available stage 1 mods for my Civic VTi-S Is there much to be gained from a VTEC by decatting and opening up the induction? I have heard of the K-pro chip, is this the most popular chip upgrade i.e. good mapping, results and cost, and is there one available for my engine? I have to be honest I know very little about my VTi-S and what is available with reasonable results.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Both decatting and "opening the induction" with a performance filter will give minimal and probably not noticeable results. However many of these small tweaks added together can produce a noticeable result. Remember also that decatting will fail your MOT on emissions.

The K-Pro is an expensive chip from Hondata, but I have heard great things about them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the exact engine type that I have in my Civic? Ideally I would like to get it up to around 200bhp just for some more straight line speed on the track. I assume it can be Unichipped easily enough or perhaps some other piggyback ecu?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Well if your currently at 169BHP I don't see how your going to reach 200BHP without some sort of engine swap.

But first I would get the following and see how you do:
- Full high flow performance exhaust system including decat and manifold.
- Your decided air induction kit, depending on what you decide from this article ;)
- If you can afford it, a Hondata ECU.
- Is your car lowered? Would greatly improve your road holding.

Another little thing I have done is tighten my throttle cable. Gets rid of the travel in the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well 200bhp is a nice round arbitray number :p It does sound like there isn't much to be gained from a few breathing mods/chip given that the VTEC is already highly tuned from factory, no different to most normally aspirated engines I guess. That said, an extra 15-20bhp would make itself felt on the straights and what about perhaps upping the limiter from 8200 to 8500rpm, anyone done this? I guess it depends how quickly the torque is dropping off at this point but I would assume the engine is at least good for it.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
The rev limiter is there for a reason, and I would suggest not messing with that :p

I would say if you completed most of my list you could get that 15-20BHP.

·
Registered
780 Posts
i've got a manifold, decat, b-pipe and rear box on mine (same engine different car) this along with an itg induction kit has opened her up a treat, i raced my mates K-pro ctr with 240bhp and i was as quick up to 80mph as he was prob guessing a near 6s 0-60 ish :D

if your tracking it, throw out the interior, this will give the little honda loads of help as they struggle with weight sooo much :(

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Yeah it all depends on your usable you want the car. Sounds like you have another car, so why not make this your track car? Forget the decat MOT problem, strip the whole thing and you're set :)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
if you buy a new header do you also need a de-cat pipe as well or does the new head eliminate the need to have a cat there?

·
Registered
780 Posts
it you buy a manifold you might as well get a decat, some times the modified manifolds are longer so the cat won't fit in, or the collectors (connections between sections) are different sized. also its so worth decatting a car, cats are so restrictive. if you remove the cat from a hyandai pony you release 20hp on its own, with a standard exhaust lol, not tht we would drive that crap o_O

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
You don't need to buy a decat as well. A decat pipe is exactly the same length as the catalytic converter, except it's just nothing more than a piece of pipe.

I fitted a new manifold, then the rest of the exhaust, and then last of all fitted the decat.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
ah right i was just wondering if a new header would eliminate the need for a de-car pipe, meaning that the header would go straight through (removing the cat on its own) damn this is hard to explain!

·
Registered
780 Posts
ahh i get you, no it wont remove it itself, you have to get a de-cat as an extra, its only a short length of pipe and very ceap/easy to fit.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Yeah I see what you mean.

As standard, you have a manifold which joins on to the front pipe (or "down pipe") which then joins onto the catalytic converter.

This doesn't change when you buy a performance manifold. When you buy one almost all will come with the manifold and the front pipe (still two separate pieces though) which joins onto the catalytic converter (or decat pipe as a replacement).

I hope that makes sense. Just pop your head under your car it will all become clear :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
right got ya, i see ash d-series is selling a header and d-cat on here just waiting for a reply now!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
He should show photos, but yes this will probably come with three different bits of pipe (including the manifold which you can't really call one pipe).

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
So there is sorry i was thinking about a different one.

Yes, as you can see from the photo it comes with the actual manifold and the down pipe:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would start with the basics - I/H/E Intake - short ram or cold air intake, Headers and a (catback)exhaust. I would not remove the catalytic converter - the Honda converters flow really well and the loss of back-pressure by removing it actually will hurt you. My 2000 Civic EX has the D16Y8 SOHC VTEC which is great to turbocharge, but I am happy with the 35MPG hwy, and really don't need to spend $1200US on a turbosetup that would definitely get me in trouble with the Guarda.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts