Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience of the spoon progressive springs? I'm thinking of getting them for my Vti saloon. They only lower the car by 20mm but i want to the keep the comfort of oem springs.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
How can you keep the comfort of OEM springs when you're taking the OEM ones off?

Correctly lowering your car doesn't "ruin the comfort". It just stiffens it up, improving road holding. It's a good thing the change :)

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Ive got stiffer springs and all my friends and family have talked about how comfortable the car is even over bumps n pot holes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well they would be close enough to the oem springs i would imagine. I have eibach pro kit springs on my itr and i find them good. I like the spoon springs because they don't lower the car too much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know i won't have oem comfort but I think the spoon springs are a good choice as lowering springs go.They are definately not cheap. I could go and buy coilovers but I wouldn't be able to live with them as i cover nearly 20k miles a year in my civic. The ride quality can be fairly harsh depending on the setup. There was cusco coilovers in my itr but i got rid of them as the ride quality was rough enough. Basically are the spoon springs worth the money or should i go with a different make : eibach, tein, tanabe etc...

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
SPOON SPOON SPOON!!!!

Maybe I'm a little bias, AH who cares!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i cover over 24k miles in a year. really hard making my mind up for getting it lowered too..

i think that if theres a bump you will feel it anyway. ie down a lane there will be bumps. as long as your not going stupidly hard with the suspension then the bumps arent going to be amplified that much. also with better damping rates to go with it, the bump control will be much better. if you want to "float" over bumps, buy a bigger car, if you want ride comfort with a small car, put up with terrible handling.

1. i want quality springs and dampers, which can cost loads.

2. i want ride comfort and handling- so i want adjustable damping- more money and probably coilovers.

3. i want to set the ride height-i dont want it too low but i want the option to be able to lower it for tracks, and want to raise it for larger loads/distance runs.

4. im thinking that better controlled wheels over bumps is going to be better than bouncing over the bumps as the suspension has too loose damping control.

i think i want coilovers....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some pictures of my car with spoon springs. I am very pleased with them. They have settled some more since these pictures.

·
Registered
109 Posts
paul20v said:
it doesnt matter you will never stiffen a car and keep oem comfort it just cant happen , otherwise it would stay exactly the same
it doesnt mean the ride will be crap
do it right and spend good money dont short cut you will only regret it .
If you have a proper suspension kit you'll probably find that you get a BETTER ride than standard.

I certainly found this with my koni's when they're set full soft.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
zeppelin101 said:
paul20v said:
it doesnt matter you will never stiffen a car and keep oem comfort it just cant happen , otherwise it would stay exactly the same
it doesnt mean the ride will be crap
do it right and spend good money dont short cut you will only regret it .
If you have a proper suspension kit you'll probably find that you get a BETTER ride than standard.

I certainly found this with my koni's when they're set full soft.
im sorry if your oem set up is all good with no isuues , then it will be more comfortable than uprated and stiffened set up it stands to reason
and if you have set your konis to soft why did you buy them i always find to dampen an uprated spring right they always need turning up
and i have had them on allsorts of different weight cars
unless of course your driving down motorways all the time flat and smooth .
oh and i always use proper suspension kits
its either koni ta , bilstein , or full adjustable H+R coilovers with adjustable arbs .

·
Registered
109 Posts
They're adjustable for a reason.

There is no point having a bone crushingly hard ride all the time when you're driving round town. If I fancy a proper drive I'll tweak 'em, and if I go on track they'll be set up stiff as possible anyway.

If you want a harsh ride all the time, fine by me but I fancy using the adjustability I bought the things for.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
As you can only adjust the damping on koni ta no matter what you do the spring rate always stays the same so by turning them down the springs over power the dampers ,
and there adjustable to fine tune them to the spring and various rate of car and drivers weights as after market stuff is always for a few diiferent models in general not taylor made for one car specifically
so in return to you if you want a bad handling car sometimes thats also upto you .

·
Registered
109 Posts
BAD handling? lol, the damping characteristic doesn't make as much difference as you would think on a 'normal' road. Sure, if all the roads were smooth then whack 'em up stiff, will drive wonderfully.

I've played around with them A LOT, and I can safely say that at reasonable speeds on the shitty roads round here, softer is far, far better for actually having traction when it comes to putting your foot down. Just because it's stiffer doesn't make it better. If you damp the spring instantly then it's like having steel rods at all four corners cos you're just gonna hit another bump a tenth of a second later, upsetting the balance of the car as the front skitters wide, the rear follows it and you bounce towards the outside of the road. Good? No, not really.

Plus, stiff damping on a bumpy surface = increased tyre wear. It's simple physics. Regardless of how good your alignment is, a car that's skidding is not using all it's available grip, and you're just molesting the tyre. If there is anything I know about, it's suspension and tyres.

Stiffer does not mean better. Stiffer to a point, yes. Very stiff? fail unless you're on a track.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
if your car is bouncing around and undulating over bumps the handling will suffer you stick to what you think you know and i will carry on with 20 years of modding cars and if we ever meet on the road or a track day i will show you handling and if you dont like what im saying and you are too ignorant and self centered enough not to listen enjoy yourself , unless you are changing your spring rates for all types of road (which your not )or you also have compression adjustment ,which standard sport T/As dont have you are only under damping your car when your winding them right down .
i did not say over hard was good its not but you cant adjust dampers alone to access its done for fine tuning to specific spring rates driver and load weights,
no car is good for everything this isnt GT4 its real life you have to compromise
so have a merry christmas lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh of course, I forgot experience is everything :rolleyes:

Underdamping? No, not really. Kangeroo? Nope, don't think so.

In fact, rather than having a go at me, you're bitching on Koni's product. Which by the way, the adjustable damping rates have been designed for the springs... So you'd have thought a company that makes suspension systems for Formula One and all other kinds of motorsport would probably have at least SOME idea of exactly what they're doing. Obviously not.

I don't know why you got so twitchy about my initial reply, I may not have 20 years of experience but let me fucking tell you I've done my homework and I have a little experience, considering I've only been driving for 2 years.... I don't rush into this shit without doing my homework.

So, take your experience and have fun. I'll continue to learn and build on what I know to be correct and sure, we might meet on track one day. Have a good laugh 'teaching' me and maybe I'll be able to show you a thing or two since you obviously seem to think I'm retarded.

Have a merry fucking christmas indeed.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
well that says it all i rest my case lol
experience in life is everything you learn from it not from a book ,
i wast not bitching at konis product i was saying you cant put damping right down just because the roads are not smooth you are damping the springs pressure which you are not altering this little gem does not seem to be getting into your thick skull , so for someone who admitedley is learning your not willing to even discuss it but obviously you only read what written in books as there always bang on ,
you mention motorsport do you think they use the same rated springs for everything they have different spring ratings also rebound and compression adjustment ,+ i did not say they didnt know what they where doing i said you didnt ,
i dont think your retarded that comment in its self shows your lack of maturity, and also you say " i,ll continue to learn and build on what i know to be correct " how do you know , oh sorry yes i forgot you you must know, as know one else does, well not unless you agree with them anyway.
it all comes with EXPERIANCE which of course your not intrested in anyones but your own
conversation finished i hate talking to people who wont even consider anyone elses comments
so good luck with your homework.
oh and the offer still stands for some track time " when you grow up " lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts