Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda Civic 1.4i SE (5 door - 2001 Y) and need advice on what Spark Plugs are best and will give me better performance.

My manual speaks of two makes NGK and DENSO. whenever I go on their websites I get different plugs to what my manual says. Also, I do 350+ miles each week and about 90% is motorway driving. Which plugs would be better for me?

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Any of them are fine. Spark plus are just spark plugs at the end of the day.

Personally i`d go for the cheapest!

If it helps, I always use NGK for mine

If yours is the 2001-2006 shape which I think it is, the type you need is NGK ZFR6FIX-11

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZFR6FIX-11-NGK-SP ... 18Q2el1247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://ww6.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?useri ... 92&units=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
780 Posts
NGK are the best bet, as they are good quality and cheap, plugs alone wont give you any more power, its only once you cars quite modded, then you need deno irradium, but at up to £20 a plug they aint cheap!!

just make sure to renew plugs evey year if your doing heavy milage as they need to be in good condition to get good burn

·
Registered
780 Posts
if you rant them, plugs are recommended to be changed more often, and he's looking at 20k a year so i'd say yearly or every other year, remember if a plug breaks you entire engine will break and thats expensive compared to replacing a set for £15 each year lol

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
i would never leave a plug more than 30k in an engine its false economy get it changed ,
and sorry but a plug is definately not just a plug and there is vast differences , ie if you use a ngk or a bosch the bosch plug will far out last the ngk ,there is nothing wrong with ngk in themselves but for longetivety its bosch all day long , this is not just a flash in the pan statement its a 20years of seeing 1000s of plugs in as many different engines ..

·
Registered
780 Posts
iridiums are different, they will last longer, but i would still change them every year, its just like you change your oil every 5-10k, you dont have to, it will run for 100k on the same oil but its not reccomended for many different reasons, also there not expensive for NGK so its worth it

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
oh.... i dont even know the last time my plugs were changed... is it something farily simple to do or will i need to get someone to do it for me?

·
Registered
780 Posts
if you can do a wish bone you can do your plugs!!

pull the ht leads off the cylinder head (make sure to remember which order they are in)

got a deep socket, usually 19mm, on an extension and put it down the hole the ht came from

undo anti clock wise and withdraw, you mite need pliers to pull it out if you don't have the rubber insert in the socket.

put the new one in (without getting oil or dirt on the end)

do up by hand until tight, then further tighten with the socket arm, only a little, you dont want it really tight but you dont want it loose so that gasses can escape, prob only about 1/2 a turn with the arm on.

re-fit ht leads, and don't rev the tits of her untill you have done about 5 miles, just incase there is a problem with a faulty plug

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
ah thats a lot easier than i thought i was thinking about having to take the rocker cover off mind you thats easy too...

I have had the car 2 years now i think its about time i changed them!

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
nickyboy said:
My car ran NGK Iridiums for 75000 miles, car ran fine, MPG was good etc
yeah it wont effect things like that unless there really stuffed , you change plugs more often because the increasing gap at the electrode make the ignition system work progressively harder and it starts to overload leads or coil or coils depending on specific cars ignition systems thats the reason for changing them more often.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
crxhugh said:
pull the ht leads off the cylinder head (make sure to remember which order they are in)
they are all different lengths normally so u wont have a problem if u only take them off the sparks and not the distributor/coil

·
Registered
780 Posts
yeah some times ppl buy the really cheap stuff and they are all the same length, but usually they are diff lengths or have the number printed on them.

if you taken them off the cap as well remember the firing order is 1,3,4,2 and anticlockwise on a honda! then you have 4 chances of getting in on right lol

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i just put some little tags on mine to remind me of where they came off when i changed my dissy cap

1 - 17 of 17 Posts