Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my sohc all of a sudden is turning over but does not want to start i have changed the dizzy cap and rotary but still no luck. I have checked spark on the plugs and there is no spark coming through...

Any sugestions cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your not getting a spark check the coil and ignition control module, my esi did the same and that was the prob, they tested fine with multimeter but i had ruled everything else out so bit the bullet and replaced them and it came back to life straight away.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One way to fault find the coil is is to check its primary and secondry resistance, it all depends what type of coil you have (or what engine code) as to what the resistance should be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree that it is likely to be the ignition module (inside the distributor). I had this problem on my ESi too. Poor starting occasionally, got more frequent, then nothing.

My dad gets car mechanics magazine, and they did an electronics diagnostics feature on Civics of this era. The ignition module was the one fault they said happened, usually around 100k miles. Anyway, if I remember correctly, the part was around £125 from a main dealer, and took about an hour to fit. There was also a guide to fit it on the net, will try to dig out the web address.

Ant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
I had to call out the RAC today for what I think is the same problem - I was driving along and out of the blue the engine died. I tried to restart it and there was power, the engine turned but no ignition. RAC checked for a spark, nothing, and the diagnosis was a faulty igniter. I don't know much about cars but it sounds like something that can be bought in and swapped inside the distributor. Anyone have any advice? Need a supplier as RAC said it would only cost a tenner so I'm not paying £125!
Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This could also be a component in the ignition barrel...

I have had both problems -
1) No starting, although engine turned over on starter motor
2) Intermittent poor starting, then car cut out on dual carriageway one night, and wouldn't re-start. Was traced to a worn part of the ignition barrel. Was less than the ignitor module for the distributor, but can;t remember the escat cost. All depends whether the engine turns over or not.

If engine turns over, then its the ignitor module in the distributor, at a cost of £125 ish from a main dealer. If the car's starter won't turn over, then its the ignition barrel worn - I think there are two metal pins that twist in a plastic slot when you turn the key - the plastic wears out, meaning the slot doesn't turn with the pins.

Will find the guide I used to fit the part, but for now, here is a link that explains the problem on a Rover 200 with the same ignition system:

http://www.gcw.org.uk/rover/igniter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps,

Ant.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are a lot of reasons that you will be getting no spark.
My B16a2 didnt spark because my camshaft sensor was broken.
Under the passenger side glove box, behind the carpet you should find the ECU, it will have a red light.
The light will flash a certain amount of times in a certain time period (not sure what, google it)
This reads out the ECU status, so check that your ECU isnt telling you an error.
Hope I helped :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts