Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Have just noticed there's a problem with the lights- when I turn them to position 1 (sidelights) they turn on ok. Position 2 should be headlights but they don't get brighter. When I flick to full beams they come on full beam. Both sides are the same. Now when it gets dark the sidelights are too dim and I can't see a thing so I have to use full beams all the time. Help?!

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I had this issue with 1 of my lights it turned out to be the bulb. Try sticking some cheapo bulbs in to see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest I don't really know how the bulbs are meant to work- could someone explain this please? How many and what type of bulbs are in there? What stages of illumination are there? I've swapped out the 55/60W bulbs before but apart from that I haven't got a clue. I did open the interior fuse box in the driver's footwell and checked all fuses related to the lighting (all 10A I believe) and they were all ok. I had a look at one 55/60 and it looked ok. What now?
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out the lights the other day and found this sandy coloured sludge with bits of black in gunging up the electrical connectors on left AND right hand sides?! I used some white spirit and a toothbrush to give them both a scrubbing and got 75% of it off. The right hand plastic connector body was brittle and looked like it was possibly heat damaged and it broke a little bit but it was still ok so I put them both back clean. I couldn't see any difference though. Last night I put the lights on and they worked properly. I haven't got a clue what that gunge was or why it was there or why the lights didn't work immediately after I cleaned them or why none of the fuses blew if it was a short. All very confusing. At a guess I would have to say the gunge was oil on the connectors and the heat or current turned it into this sludge and the black bits were disintegrated plastic. I suppose I can only keep an eye on it now. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
you will get melted connectors with bad earths on the connector to the bulb there is a load of heat generated as the electricity back feeds through the live wires try to make earth,
if i was you i would get to a scrap yards and renew the plugs by cutting some good ones off a car and rejoining them to your car
dont worry it happens i have seen this many times on different makes of cars .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts