Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 99 1.8Vti lump with 170k and a full history, I gave it another oil change today (castrol 10/40) thats the second within 400miles. Basically I used the first "change" as flush so to speak. But when you floor it there quite a bit of greyish smoke from it and its still tappity (good chance though they just need adjusted though)...but!.

Would the engine in general maybe be better getting a top end rebuild (I wouldnt do it though, well I doubt it), or possibly another one (recon). I'm planning to keep it for the time being, so want it running the it should. I saw another engine on ebay for only 350 with a seemingly gen 45k which they cant gaurantee, but with a 3month warranty.

I know Honda engines are more/less bullet proof, or suppose to be, but would this one being the mileage its at, benefit from the top end rebuild. Has anyone needed to do this at this mileage or earlier.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To those that didnt bother looking/answering

There that'll stir the shecht :mrgreen: :p

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6404&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its going in for a full service and top overhaul, but the guy (who I've used for the 12yrs) did say I'd never get it as quiet as one with half or less the mileage, because of general wear and tear. I was just hoping that the engine guru's here would have shed some light on things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
have you checked vtech solenoid coil oil filter.(to the left of distributor on same side of head,mounted by 3 bolt heads,10 mm socket I think).If this filter is blocked will cause all sorts of timing/oil pressure problems resulting in bad running.Is ignition timing ok ? what state are the timing belt pulley teeth in,belt ?,not good if there is slack/wear in the teeth on belt and pulleys.you may have a broken piston ring,have you done a compression test on each cylinder ? If head is removed and there is piston slack, bore wear ,uneconmical to repair,if pistons ok valve /cam problems again uneconmical to repair.On your oil change is there much metal fragments in oil sludge,this will tell you what state your engine is in if nothing else,hope some of this helps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks antech for taking the time to reply and quite in depth too ;), more than some did, and all the Vtec guru's here too, oh well....

I didnt know there was a solonoid for the vtec, will check it though, its going "in" next week and said to the guy if he can check more less everything in the top. he asked me when the belt was last done, I said at about 130-40,000. I said not to scrimp on anything, if it needs done just tell me, he's the kind of guy though, if/when he takes anything off to replace, he'll show you the old part.

I didnt notice any shavings in the oil in the last 2 changes I did over the last 400miles, as I said to him too, I got oil from Lidl, just cheap stuff to use a flush so to speak. I'll hopefully know by the end of the week what the full horrors are if any :eek: :neutral:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts