Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Before I go and splash out on a car I wanted to find out a few things...as much as I'd love a new one I can't stretch my budget so I'm going for the previous one.

Buying 2nd Hand:
There are loads out there with high mileages...75K+...I know Honda's are good cars but given the stress these cars get put under should I stay clear of these high ones? Do they suffer problems? When should the timing belt get done? What would be a safe age/mileage to aim for? I reckon I'll put ~10k per year on it and I plan on keeping it for 2 years.

Any advice where? I've looked in eBay, AutoTrader etc. I'm willing to travel for it (although I'm based in Scotland), as like most Scot's I'm hunting for a bargain / being tight. I've bought cars in the auction before but is it too risky buying a sporty car like this from one?

Value:
Looking at the http://www.parkers.co.uk guide the Civics are going for 10% over their book value. Is that just the time of year? Or have Type Rs always bucked the the trends?

Running Costs: (a my major concern)
Realistically how much will it cost to run? Somebody told me tyres are £150 each?! What other wear and tear parts are involved? I just need to know what kind of state my finances need to be in before I get it...

Insurance:
Got that sorted already. I'm 22, and initially this killed my Type R dreams...but I discovered Tesco Value insurance = £700 per year! I went to Elephant and they have matched it (well close enough).

Sorry for all the questions...it's a lot of money and I'm getting nervous!

Cheers,
Cranny

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's reassuring! How old is yours/mileage?

I live in Edinburgh but am in Glasgow a fair bit with work, and am planning up to Aberdeen to see my bro in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Mine is a 09/2005 model, around 22k miles. It's my second CTR, the first was a 01/2002 model, it had 78k when I sold it.

Buy one mate, they are very cheap to run. Just make sure the steering self centres OK as a common fault is a knackered steering rack which is hooer expensive to sort.

Plus the usual HPI checks, FSH, accident damage etc.

I stay near Inverness, bought my current CTR in Aberdeen last April, for £11200. You can pick them up for 9 grand now with low miles.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
nickyboy said:
Mine is a 09/2005 model, around 22k miles. It's my second CTR, the first was a 01/2002 model, it had 78k when I sold it.

Buy one mate, they are very cheap to run. Just make sure the steering self centres OK as a common fault is a knackered steering rack which is hooer expensive to sort.

Plus the usual HPI checks, FSH, accident damage etc.

I stay near Inverness, bought my current CTR in Aberdeen last April, for £11200. You can pick them up for 9 grand now with low miles.
funny you should mention the rack i drove one the other day and it wasnt self centering , it was horrible to drive
i drove an ep2 the day before and it was a dream to drive in comparison.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Civit and Nicky.

So at the moment I'm hunting for a low mileage (less than 50k) old shape style as recent a year as i can get it but I feel getting the low mileage is more important. And preferably in the dark grey colour :cool:

I came across one that was a previous Cat D insurance repair...someone went into the back of it, doesn't look too severe. Should I stay well clear of these things or is it worth looking at further?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
cosmic grey :D b-e-a-u-t!! similiar colour as my ej9

yes now is definately the right time to be buying a type r if you want one, although its sad to hear, i cant believe the amount of people there seem to be that are selling their ep3s at very low prices with low mileage because they have been laid off in their jobs!! know people usually make up stories like this to help sell the car but to be honest with the whole credit crunch business at the moment it seems a bit more believeable!!

i wouldnt bother with a cat d to be honest, although i think cat d write offs are only body work issues, your wanting yourself a nice new car with low mileage? that will be reliable? for the little extra money you will have to spend, it will be worth getting a good condition 1 rather than taking the risk that other problems can start popping up!!

i heard of somebody buying a cat d and it all seemed spot on, then one day the engine physically fell out, the impact of the crash must have damaged the engine mounts in sum way

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
^ yep definately true, my nephew has gone to Oz and he can't sell his 53 plate pre-face lift, wants £ 6500.00 for it with 38,000 miles, light silver his one, same colour as nicky's.... I think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Type-R 2002 has 90000 miles on and it's perfect. Still has all it's power, still as efficient as it should be.
I bought it with 78000 miles which was a bit step up in milleage for me because i'd never had anything over 1 year old before.
I paid £7500 for it because it had a few mods done that i wanted and that was 14 months ago. Can't believe how cheap they are now!! You can get 2005 models 6k with fairly low miles...insane!!!
It's a buyers market with anything right now so good timing. I just bought house myself..haha.

I'm 23 with 3 years no claims and my insurance is cheap with churchill.

I do drive it like it should be drove so my fuel economy isn't great...but to be fair i've had 2.0 turbo, 1.4, 1.2 and the 2.0 vtec and really i find next to no difference at all. My VXR used more petrol than the type-r though.
I think i spend about £100-£120 a month on petrol doing about 850 miles a month.

I do want another VXR next year with updated interia and 300bhp re-map...but the type-r is doing my proud over the last 14 months and i'm sure it will for another year or so. Even with the high miles, it really does sound and drive like a much newer car!!

Best car i've bought for the price. Considering the VXR i bought was £19,500, then the Type-R has been a bargain!! All i've spent is £70 on a battery and £50 on the MOT! :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What difference is there with the facelift? Did it go in from some radical Demi-Moore-style plastic surgery?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
facelifts usually just get their front bumper/grill "pimped up" a bit

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
facelift ftw then lol

iv got facelift ep3 seats in my civic then, just put them back in as i took them out for m.o.t, they r now in by 4 bolts though but iv fallen out of love of them now :(

they just dont seem as comfy as my standard seats and they dont sit as low which i like :( but they do look good though lol ,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6 months on and I'm still running my Pug 307... :redface:

For one reason or another I had to put things on hold...but now I'm back in the game! I had the new one out for a decent test drive the other day, so nice...but it's £13k and despite the very attractive garage finance scheme I'm not comfortable putting that much on a car at the moment...so back to the older style :mrgreen:

I'm looking for a <50k mileage (I will be keeping it for 2-3 years), not terrible worried about the plate age (going to put a private plate on it).

Any years / models I should try and avoid?
What are the best places to look? ebay? piston heads? (I'm based in Edinburgh)

All your wisdom gratefully received!

Cheers
Iain

1 - 20 of 23 Posts