Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hoping some petrol heads out there can help...

I got a 2005 Honda civic sport 1.6 Vtec

Would running it on the Shell V Power fuel give me better performance... Throttle response.. etc??

I know its a little more expensive but after all the power i can get from my engine lol

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your engine is designed to run on 95 oct.

Don't personally think it's worth the extra money unless its tuned to run on the higher octane stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read somewhere on the internet that SOME fuel ECU's 'Learn' so to speak....

Dont suppose you know if that is the case with honda lol???

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i think the higher octane stuff makes a slight difference but not really alot, its only really brought over here more for people with import cars where their standard petrol has a higher octane

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
good good, i would never use standard petrol on a import car tbh, and if and when i buy a import car with high compression ratios i would like to think the previous uk owners if any always used higher octane

·
Registered
34 Posts
josh897 said:
good good, i would never use standard petrol on a import car tbh, and if and when i buy a import car with high compression ratios i would like to think the previous uk owners if any always used higher octane
Thats always a worry for myself aswell :/ can never be sure.

·
Registered
145 Posts
to be honest i got a 1.6 in an eg3 but i put higher octane in mine just for shits and giggles but i did feel the diffenace too but i think is cuz it burns hotter than regular. i dont know...i dont do it all the time though when i filled up with regular it just felt boged out and sluggy. something to think about.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i put it in my car once before, didnt really notice much of a difference to be honest! think it was more of a placebo effect because i expected it to increase power

·
Registered
145 Posts
maybe its just a secret plot by oil companies but really its just the same thing as regular but its been said before that it makes more of a diffreance in higher modded and boosted cars. i like i dont care if im an idiot. :)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
lol
the reason behind having higher octane gases is they have a higher rate of compression before they ignite, thats why they are better for cars with higher compression ratios

·
Registered
10 Posts
Never noticed any difference when I tried it in my 2003 Type S 2 litre ivtec.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you're going to run on a higher octane I suggest fulling up when you're tank is empty then resetting your ECU by disconnecting the battery for 15 mins then start it and let it idle for 10 mins without reving. Once you turn the engine off your ecu will have been reset and will hopefully learned how to handle the extra octane. Having said that personally I'd rather save a few quid at the pump for the good it will do. Rule of thumb - if your car is running fine don't fuck about with it needlessly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put some in this week and i noticed a difference!! Car just feels lighter. (i have a d16y7 in my 98 coupe)
I have Greddy 4-2-1 mani, Spoon exhaust, AEM short ram and lightweight Oz ultraleggera alloys.

·
Registered
117 Posts
paul20v said:
All my turbo cars loved it with noticeable increase ,
but all the N/A cars i have owned some feel a little crisper but nothing much althou i do use shell petrol as a rule anyway because its generally better .
you say that but there has been a back to back test with shell bp and tesco on their high octane fuels and tescos momentum came out on top!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts