Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems you can't search 3 character phrases, which is a shame if you want to look up posts containing model numbers.
To get around this maybe we could start adding a character when we refer to model number. For example, xMB6 instead of MB6, or whatever. Maybe you have a better idea tho.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Sorry for my delay in responding to this, I’ve been trying to find a solution - something I haven’t yet done!

You may remember a few months ago this site used more CPU (processing power) than was allowed with our hosting package. We were offline for a couple days and the site was very slow. People were often receiving “CPU Quota Exceeded” errors rather than our beautiful homepage :)

In order to prevent having to pay for incredibly expensive dedicated hosting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedicated_hosting_service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I made many behind the scenes alterations to improve CPU usage on the site.

One of these alterations was changing the way searches operated. I won’t go into the boring details, but previously searches were done on a whole load of text files, which used lots of CPU. I changed this so searches actually searched the database of the site itself, so no clumsy text files had to be created, thus saving CPU. The only problem with this is that it’s not possible to make 3 character searches of the database - the minimum is 4!

So you can see the problem. If I change back to the old search method that can accept 3 character searches, the site will grind to a halt within a day, leaving me with a £200 plus bill for more expensive hosting. But leaving it with the current search method means we can’t do 3 character searches, something important for model numbers as you say.

So that’s the update. I’ll continue trying to figure out a solution and will let you know when I have done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
why not just add a * to whatever you are searching!!!

simple! e.g search *MB6 and it turns up the results you are after!

·
Registered
8 Posts
just tried it and your right - but why doesn't it work??? any other search function i have used on, well, anything, an asterisk basically acts as a wildcard. why won't the search function on this site allow it :question:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a way to get the database and do a find and replace for common 3 character phrases and put [] around them? then have a filter put on new posts to do the same job...then we can search for {MB6} or whatever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts