Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've been running my civic with no pipe going to my wastegate, just dumping in the enginebay (doesn't get near turbo inlet) but i've had no room for a real screamer pipe...

So no I'm going to make one and try to put a muffler on it..

my idea is to turn my WG round and run a U bent aiming str8 down and fit a 2stroke endcan so it will dump to the floor (keeping the soot out of my damn engine bay lol) this will then keep the sound levels down and stop the old grans waving there walking sticks at me after i scare them silly lol.

I'd like to know if there is a good lenth to make the pipe to gain better viclosoty? (should help keep the turbo spinning on changes)

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Tried that Jim.... it don't work, if you are muffling the sound you are putting back pressure on the wastegate and you will get spikes and flutations in the boost pressure.

The other thing that happens with screamer pipes is unless they are ultra light with the vibrations you start getting stress fractures all over the place :D

As Paul said above bite the bullet and plumb it in, the difference is startling I did mine about a year ago ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Civit said:
Tried that Jim.... it don't work, if you are muffling the sound you are putting back pressure on the wastegate and you will get spikes and flutations in the boost pressure.

The other thing that happens with screamer pipes is unless they are ultra light with the vibrations you start getting stress fractures all over the place :D

As Paul said above bite the bullet and plumb it in, the difference is startling I did mine about a year ago ;)
This is the sort of answer i was looking for, The screamer would be home made so i can make it as strong or light as i like. I really don't want to drillout my downpipe if i don't have to (it would be worst having a weak costly downpipe compaired to a easly replacable screamerpipe)

I think'll pump a screamer facing str8 down for now then I'll buy a new downpipe and fit it pumped in when i upgrade the turbo.

I like the sound advice, thx!

·
Registered
148 Posts
An open dump tube can help reduce exhaust backpressure, the only reason to run it back into the downpipe is for noise control.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GotBoost said:
An open dump tube can help reduce exhaust backpressure, the only reason to run it back into the downpipe is for noise control.
I know this is true but if you have a very good exhuast velocity will it not ''suck'' the waste pressure out?

I've had no tube at all for 10-11 month and no spikes and boost is smooth. but it sound like a fighter jet when im WOT 7-8k rpm so i wanted a pipe and a way to silece it... if i fit a larger can to end so no backpresser will it be ok? just aiming to floor will get rid of most of my sound issues anyway and dirty bay.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dont confuse velocity with pressure. In a turbo application you want the least possible exhaust backpressure.

Running without any pipe will obviously cause the least restriction from the wastegate, however it is very dangerous for obvious reasons.

Just dump it to ground with a mandrel bent pipe equal or greater in size than the wastegate outlet to avoid boost control issues, if its too loud the only option is to route back into the downpipe.

Edit:

Post a pic of the manifold / wg setup.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's not ''set-up'' anymore but when i put it all back in i'll take a pic there no much room i think a good 3" zust ubend welded to a spare spacer i have will do it then just aiming at the front wheel area. as i say i have very little room to play with lol

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Couldn't you have one pipe from the WG at whatever diameter (3 inches?) which splits into three or four 1-2" pipes all running down where there is space, rather than trying to squeeze a bigger pipe somewhere?

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Haha! I don't even know what a wastegate actually is, I've got a pretty good idea, but I figured that if there was a 3" diameter pipe coming from it and there was no much room for it, then a couple of 1-2" pipes coming from a 3" would do the same, if not a better job?

I'm no mechanic, but that just makes sense! If the original size doesn't need to be 3" then obviously cutting my numbers to fit would be the same?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Mine is 40mm plumbed in to 3" exhaust straight through with no probs, whatever you do with the screamer pipe is a trade between noise and interference with operation of WG ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just happen to have 3" pipe work spare would need to buy more if i used diffrent....

I'm getting so many diffarent answers. i think the best idea is if i try a few designs to see what suits my build best with some testing i think it's a bit open ended becus some people run the screamer pipe right to the back of the car, some run out the front/side ect other just use str8 foot long pipe....

I would perfer to not cut my downpipe cus it'll only weaken it then crack later on.

I'll be running my turbo at almost max boost it can muster and i use the car daily for the commute. so i dont think it will always be opening to release high boost waste...thats for the weekend :). town driving i rarely thrash the car you just get points and fines :rolleyes:

I have some spare pipe. yes the 3" is overkill but it's what i have. i only need to keep the gases/soot out of my bay the sound is awsome so i don't care if i can't make it less noisy, i mite even run it out the side of my front bumper. I'll buy more pipe if the 3" works out useless it'll only be restricked by wastegate's size anyway.

I'll try a few things and see what works for me, ive got time to make stuff cus i can't afford a tune or cam this/next month so out comes the welder and weekends of head scratching :) it would be really cool to have duel 38mm gates with a pipe out each side :D mite see how much a redesined manifold that would give me more room+ twin exits would cost. Like a 4-2-1 with a gate on each of the 2's?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your not getting different answers mate, as long as the screamer pipe doesnt cause a restriction it'll be fine, if you want to use 3" and can find a way to fab it to a 38mm flange thats fine ( might look a bit odd though )

If your concerned about noise, plumb back into downpipe.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
i know this is an old topic, however as im getting a screamer pipe next month,
could you have the end of the screamer pipe coming out say to... just infront or behind the passenger front wheel? Under the bumper or through it..
ive got a 45 MM wastegate

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I would'nt run one like that on the road.... any screamer pipe is fucking noisy and it's pull fodder :problem:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well screamer pipe only sounds off when ur reving the car up/accelerating fairly quickly. I don't accelerate hard in towns etc were police are anyway, and on motorway I average 65mph at a push.
So should be ok. Just want to know if u can do it

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Yeah it's easy to do.... you don't have to be accelerating hard for it to be loud though, as soon as you're in any boost the wastegate opens, trust me they are loud.

I got rid of mine because it attracts so much attention, don't take my word for it, ask around and for the gains (unless on track / strip) just for show IMO :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts