Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if the rover coupe/220 or 600Ti engines would go into an EK civic? ive never heard of anyone doing one, the reason i ask is that the rover 220gsi N/A engine is a similar unit to the H20 motor! it would be an interesting swap!

·
Registered
52 Posts
the rover 220 coupe has a honda engine as it was made when honda owned rover so shouldbe be to hard. it is only the later k series engine that was prone to head gasket, and is actualy easy fixed by fitting a landrover head gasked. (same engine but thicker head gasket)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
If you were to fit a thicket HG you would also loose some compression hence making less power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your knowlege about head gaskets :eek: !!!!!! head gaskets are something i can deal with, but will the engine actually go in and work and drive with minimum effort??

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Not really sure I have never heard about people sticking rover engines into Hondas, you would be better off building a B or D series turbo if you want a quick turbo car.

There is a B20 CRX on CRX-UK running around 265 bhp and 230 Ib/Ft of torque.

·
Registered
13 Posts
y would u want to fuck up a good car by puttin somethin like that in it??? plus the old rover engines r not that bad if u check water reguler as they only hold about 6 litres of water that is y head gaskets go!!

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
ek9_marc said:
y would u want to f**k up a good car by puttin somethin like that in it??? plus the old rover engines r not that bad if u check water reguler as they only hold about 6 litres of water that is y head gaskets go!!
No mate the head gaskets go because they have head bolts that are nearly the height of the engine in length and they stretch,
and also the head gasket is a sheet of steel with a pathetic piece of rubber on it that does the sealing of the water and oil ways and this jacks in .

·
Registered
98 Posts
A lad i know built a civic from a scrap yard. civic shell put a rover d-series in it and then built a turbo kit from various bits i.e t25 from a saab 9-3 it just made about 160hp lol

not bad and the engine is still going strong.

Personally i wouldnt though, he did it for a laugh and its cost him very little but if its a serious engine swap your looking to do then dont bother.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The old Rover 216 and 220 had Honda engines that was the deal Honda had with Rover to supply them engines! VW supplied the gearboxes - you can use Maestro gearboxes on Golfs! Rover were too busy sleeping on the nightshift to build engines and gearboxes lol The K series Rover is different, the head gasket problems are due to them using nylon locating dowls instead of steel. I had a 1.4 103PS and had to replace the inlet gasket at 32k miles! The engines only hold about 3.5 litres of coolant which is why you have to keep a close eye on the levels, good thing is they warm up in about half the time of most engines. The 1.8's are the most unreliable because the cylinder liners are thinner than the 1.4, god knows why Land Rover even considered using them!

·
Registered
381 Posts
only the rover 216 gti/coupe had the honda engine, they came with either sohc or dohc 1.6 non vtec engines, the dohc is the d16a9 found in crx/civic EE/EF 88-90

the 220 never had a honda engine they were rover engines, trust me i have a 216 coupe just now with the sohc honda engine but will be getting changed to dohc when i finish the crx :p

·
Registered
381 Posts
paul20v said:
If it doesnt say honda on the cam/rocker cover it aint a honda engine .
i have to correct you on that mate, the dohc 1.6 engine in the rover 216 gti and overseas coupes are the d16a9 honda engine just with a different cam cover, internals are all honda parts ;) the same goes for the sohc engine found in the 216 coupes but cant remember the engine code and its too dark and cold to go out and open my bonnet lol

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
broonie86 said:
paul20v said:
If it doesnt say honda on the cam/rocker cover it aint a honda engine .
i have to correct you on that mate, the dohc 1.6 engine in the rover 216 gti and overseas coupes are the d16a9 honda engine just with a different cam cover, internals are all honda parts ;) the same goes for the sohc engine found in the 216 coupes but cant remember the engine code and its too dark and cold to go out and open my bonnet lol
That comment on my part was a little in accurate ,
what i meant to say is that if it says rover on the cover it aint a honda engine as the honda engines in rovers dont say honda ,
ive been working on the crap rover engines on and off for to many years now (not only rover engines thou thank god lol ),

also a quick and general observation, rover engines are always on the offside of the car and honda engines are always mounted in the car on the nearside.
as for my miss wording i was that gob smacked that anybody with half a brain would stick a crap rover engine in a honda, was absolutely beyond belief lol
i ask you WHY OH WHY would you :rolleyes:

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can make a lot of engines fit if you're determined enough! I think the honda tuning scene is a bit conventional compared to the vee dub scene where 911 and Suburu engines get fitted into old beetles :D

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
broonie86 said:
only the rover 216 gti/coupe had the honda engine, they came with either sohc or dohc 1.6 non VTEC engines, the dohc is the d16a9 found in crx/civic EE/EF 88-90

the 220 never had a honda engine they were rover engines, trust me i have a 216 coupe just now with the sohc honda engine but will be getting changed to dohc when i finish the crx :p
Its my turn :D they also put honda engines in the 600 series rover too 1.8/2.0/2.3 were all honda engines all bar the diesels and turbo petrol , sorry i had too :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts