Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take off my rocker cover do I need a new gasket when putting it back on or can I reuse the old one?

·
Registered
158 Posts
You should really replace it. But see what condition it is in, if there is no splits it should be ok, just check it is not leaking every few days to make sure. Rembember to clean all the oil off the seal and the channel the seal sits in before replacing it.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
yea make sure you clean all the oil off or you wont get a good seal, i didnt do this and had a bit of oil escaping for first few days

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
josh897 said:
yea make sure you clean all the oil off or you wont get a good seal, i didnt do this and had a bit of oil escaping for first few days
why do you think not cleaning the oil off a rubber seal will cause a bad seal :confused:
if you think about it SENSIBLY why does an oil filter not leak when you apply a film of oil to the seal when replacing it ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
paul20v said:
josh897 said:
why do you think not cleaning the oil off a rubber seal will cause a bad seal :confused:
if you think about it SENSIBLY why does an oil filter not leak when you apply a film of oil to the seal when replacing it ?
I put the oil on the filter so it will come off easier in a years time.
I have had problems of oil weaping out the rocker gasket because the gasket wasnt properly cleaned, It doesent excactly leak but it is there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeh i agree with what your saying, screwing on a dry seal is not good practice.
Come to think of it... I pay special attention to the channel where the seal sits in, because thats where the oil weaps from (i found oil collects above the gasket). Then once thats clean and the gasket is clean, apply a thin film of clean grease to the gasket, fit the seal to the rocker cover, then fit the cover.
In one of my previous quotes i should have stated "clean the dirty oil off".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts