Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My civic has developed a serious problem with rust on the rear arches. I'm a student and I was going to be doing 10 months in australia as part of my course, so I left my modded EJ9 with my parents. Unfortunately I had been repairing an altogether very minor rust problem before this (I live in the shetland islands and the car had been keyed, so it developed in no time) and at the time that I left the car with my parents the whole area around the rear arches had been sanded down but not yet resprayed. I asked them to take it to a body shop after I'd gone, said I'd pay the bill and didn't think too much more about it...
Anyway, I came back from australia 2 weeks ago and discovered that my car had been sitting outside, with partially unpainted rear arches, for 10 months, in the driveway of my house which is maybe 100 metres from the sea, in a place which gets 200+ rainy days a year... doesn't take a genius to guess what sort of condition they're in... I was pissed beyond belief, and now I need some help.

I can't find any obvious information about removing the rear quarter panels (Help!?!) but I'm assuming it's possible since I've seen EJ9s damaged this way and repaired... What would need to be done and what sort of cost am I looking at for a set of decent second hand rear quarter panels and how would I fit them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Ci ... ingPayment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^Something like this would cover the area which has rusted, it's basically gone from about 2/3 of the way back on the arch to the rear lights.
Think it's possible to get a good fix with a product like this? I've already been traumatised a few times with new parts quotes from honda o_O (£1000 for a front subframe? the hell?)

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
yes mate thats the sort of thing i was on about ,
not oem panels you would probably only get the whole quarter to the roof with honda parts depending where the made it originally .
when your welding big panels like that make sure you dont do continuous welds all in one go ,
weld no more than 1" and miss 6" and do it that way then fill the bits in when they have cooled it stops the panel rippling.

·
Registered
211 Posts
you should see what happened to my civic coupe rear quarter side panel, completely smashedd it in.. two body shops wouldnt bother fixing it, then i found a garage near me that done it for £800 (£400 labour, £400 parts) they had to cut the panel off and you cant even tell its been in a accident and i had the accident 14 months ago.. Just make sure there a garage you can trust, you dont want any cowboy fixing it..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts