Honda Civic Forums banner

Replacing oil sump on 7th gen type s. HELP!

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kbvz 
#1 ·
Ok, all bolts removed from sump, seal broken, can move it about. Removed left engine mount (looking into engine bay) got the engine as high as I dare and can't for the life of me get it out! Only way I can see it coming out is by dropping the sub frame, surely not?

Any help greatly appreciated

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks! managed to do before I read your post though. Link works and the file size is pretty small, very handy to have :)

For anyone doing this on their own with the wheels only just off the ground and doesn't fancy completely dropping the sub frame it's possible to raise the engine and drop only the front of the sub-frame.

Support engine with a jack and block of wood
Remove single engine mount nut and front gear box mount (just the bolt going through the bush)
Raise engine roughly 3 inches and support with a block of wood (or whatever you have to hand) under the engine mount
Remove jack
There's a pipe that is supported on the front of the sub-frame, remove the 10mm bolt holding it in place
Slacken the two sub-frame bolts towards the rear of the car
Remove the two front sub-frame bolts
It should drop down enough to remove the oil sump
I recommend the propper tool for splitting sump from the engine block, especially if you plan on re using the sump. Quite difficult without.
Also, when you drain the oil first, make the the front end of the car is higher the the back, I drained it with the car quite level and there was still a fair bit of oil left in there - potential mess!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.