Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Hoping any of you can sudgest any solutions.
I have a 1998 Honda civic 1.4.LE hatchback.
My key broke deep in the ignition, I could not get it out
So I replaced the ignition barrel with new key. This is a second hand unit same part number as old one and a working Honda key. So I fitted this and re fitted the ignition switch (the white plastic bit at the op end) re connected the battery turned the ignition key to position one (radio came on) position 2 ( all the usual dash lights came on)
Turned the last bit to turn over. And it clicked but didn't turn over.?
Battery power is good so it's not that. Starter has been fine and strong up to this point.
I'm assuming it's the chip in the new barrels key?
I'm not fussed about having two different keys but the car is only worth like £150 max so I don't want to be spending silly money on it.
Any ideas or sudgestions for a cheap fix.?
Thanks in advance
Terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi guys
Hoping any of you can sudgest any solutions.
I have a 1998 Honda civic 1.4.LE hatchback.
My key broke deep in the ignition, I could not get it out
So I replaced the ignition barrel with new key. This is a second hand unit same part number as old one and a working Honda key. So I fitted this and re fitted the ignition switch (the white plastic bit at the op end) re connected the battery turned the ignition key to position one (radio came on) position 2 ( all the usual dash lights came on)
Turned the last bit to turn over. And it clicked but didn't turn over.?
Battery power is good so it's not that. Starter has been fine and strong up to this point.
I'm assuming it's the chip in the new barrels key?
I'm not fussed about having two different keys but the car is only worth like £150 max so I don't want to be spending silly money on it.
Any ideas or sudgestions for a cheap fix.?
Thanks in advance
Terry
Replying to my own post here.
It might help some of you so I'll keep it simple. If you replace the ignition barrel take the old black plastic rins that sits outside the ignition, if you are going to use a used complete ignition barrel with its own used key.
Take the black plastic ring off ur new used part and replace it with ur original one. As this is linked to your cars cpu then fit to the car as normal do not change the whit plastic ignition switch. Keep the one that's already on ur car. Now take your old Honda key and on the side of the key with valeo on the top right you need to cut into the side of the rubber two lines 3/4 the way up from the shank you can them lift this flap up and remove the black chip do the same to ur key for ur replacement lock and swap chip from old into new. Super glue back down. By doing all of this you won't need to recode your key and is better than glueing the chip on the outside of the ignition ring.
Hope that helps.
Terry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts