Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got myself a SiR and it failed MOT on rear foglight not working

The car had an MOT when i got it so there must be one fitted on there somewhere else it was a dodge MOT

I have a switch retrofitted next to my handbrake and the light on it only comes on whilst the main beams are on but i cant see anything coming on when i do flick the switch

Few questions then:

1) Which light is most likely connected to this switch if it is a fog?
2) If it isnt a fog which is the best way of installing one?

Can you still get the little square bumper mounted ones from Halfords?

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Aaron

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like the person who you bought the car off could not fix the original foglight so fitted a independant switch (and made a balls up of it by the sounds of it). If it was my car i would investigate the original fog light switch but you could be scratching your head because of the botched wiring. He's done the wiring wrong and instead of wiring to the headlights he's wired it to main beam, does the fog light work with main beam on?
If this seems like too much you can buy fog lamps from the likes of halfords, be carefull tho because there is regulations as to where it needs to be mounted, check the VOSA website for info on this (it has to be so many cm's from the edge of the car ect..) but you will still have the problem of it only working with the main beam on, it needs to be wired to the headlight.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree, there's nothing worse than a rusty old fog lamp waiting to broken off hanging of the back of your car. The reverse light conversion is also a good idea, but i would make sure the original fog lamp is shagged first. It might just be the wiring at fault. Are you sure there is no limitations about the mounting of the foglight. I'm sure there is something about height aswell, its been a while tho.
I'm sure i've got some info on it somewhere, i'll have a look.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
100% sure ive been mot testing cars for 10years and working on the bloody things for 20years :D

Edit:

The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of
vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980.
Note: On some vehicles the front fog lamps need to be switched on before the rear fog lamp(s) will work
Note: A rear fog lamp is permitted to operate independently of headlamp, position lamp or ignition systems.

6. With dipped headlamps and the ignition switched on, operate the rear fog lamp switch and check that a rear fog lamp
. is fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle

. is working, and

. does not flicker when tapped lightly by hand.

Check also that the drivers tell-tale works properly.

7. Check the presence, condition, security and operation of the switch.

6. A mandatory rear fog lamp
a. is missing, does not emit a steady red light or emits a light other than red
b. incomplete, not in good working order or not visible from a reasonable distance
c. is insecure, obscured or not facing to
the rear
d. flickers when tapped lightly by hand e. tell-tale does not work
f. adversely affected by the operation of
any other lamp.
7. A rear fog lamp switch
a. missing
b. faulty
c. insecure
d. not able to be operated from the normal driving position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts