Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Ive got a 1997 civic coupe 1.6 LS, has drumbrakes on the back. I had a list to fix it for MoT have passed on everthing else now but the rear drum break is still giving me agro. The wheel bearing had gone (badly) on the offside rear and i replaceed but the same side drum break is either not good enough and fails on handbreak or i tighten it and then it fails as its dragging. Ive checked the cylinder and ther is not leaking the hand brake seems to be the problem as when you look at the cable from inside the car, that side doesn't move as much as the other (where the 1 cable is attached to either side).

Any advice, anyone with same problem?

Also where can i get the plastic things that you push in and then push a pin in to hold stuff on, e.g. the bumpers and the smaller ones for the boot carpet? what are the pastic things called?

Many Thanks.
Tony.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Hi
sounds like the handbrake linkage on the shoes is siezing
or the handbrake cable is sticky
also you cant adjust the cable up to adjust a handbrake , you have to adjust the shoes direct as sometimes the auto adjusters are in need of manual assistance
all you do by adjusting the cables too much is loose the leverage on the handbrake lever in the drums hence the poor effort .

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ment i was adjusting at the brake end. Not quite sure how the ajuster works tho, am used to fords.
Just brough a haynes manual...might help.
Passed the MoT now tho...yey!
Is a rear disc conversion hard????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts