Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok just done my front pads no bother, moved to the rear and had a whale of a time. Acidently popped the offside rear cylinda seal losin the fliud from that brake. got the shoes changed with no problems just a lot of swearing, the near side was to easy.
now the pedal is very spongy alough car still stops
and the handbrake is about 50 clicks to high
ive pumped the pedal till i was bord and pulled the handbrake repeatedly, enough to start hurting

i guess i have to bleed the brakes but do i need to do all four>?
do i need to adjust the cable near the handbrake leaver?
or do i need to adjust clevis back to where it was?
i followed a haynes manual to the letter ( which i regret and see why it was passed on ) and the pictures showed the clevis closed so i closed it

if you have any ideas please get them out you and on the page thanks again

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry cant load a pic of clevis
it sits below the top spring that holds the shoes together and above the hub and bearing asmberly
its in two parts and also holds the shoes together. one part is shorter and is only really a fork to hold the self adjusting leaver in place the other part is longer with a thread than cums out (with age and use ) and is really what gets adjusted
i know that is a crap discripton you have to see it really
but thanks for the help

Edit:

Finished the brakes all done just bleed the rear and the pedal went rockhard. clicked the clevis round till the hub woodnt go on then wound it in a bit got 5 clicks to apply hand brake
cheers for the replys

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
honda specify 6-10 clicks, make sure the handbrake isnt dragging (jack wheel and release handbrake and turn the wheel)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
now you mention it i can hear a dragging/ rubbing sound but more to the front i mite have to check the pads position on the disks aswell thanks for that it all helps

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
they only fit in the grooves so pad alignment is automatically adjusted.
the rear cables for the handbrake could be too tight causing drag!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its defenitly the front. ive changed the old rusty boy racer backbox for a new standard one and there is all sort of noises it feels through the wheel and floor
its drive train , brakes or wheels
going to sort the oil check the pads and shoes and go for a drive . its going to be a late night

ps checked handbrake theres 7 clicks

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can hear the center section more than anything, might of tightened up the backbox to much or its rusty to (looks recent tho) if its the gearbox making noises ill wait till it blows and replace it then
the cars still a bargin i reakon.
do honda parts last?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
official honda parts fitted to the vehicle from new-will wear out. expect rust after 8-10 years
official honda parts fitted recently-warranty on exhaust is 3 years. or was it 5. if it rusts at 3 i'm going back!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
honda's parts are really worth buying, they keep a honda a honda and are much better than anything in motor factors!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i agree the price hike is worth the part
should of gone to honda for the backbox but its to late now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts