Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1998 3 door 1.4 base model (no sun roof or aircon). It has developed a leak into the passenger footwell. Water gets in when stationary and seems to be running down the near side of the footwell behind the aluminium box of electrical gubbins hidden behind the plastic cover by your left foot. I've tried running silicone sealant around the near side windscreen gasket (screen looks original). I've removed the windscreen wiper/heater inlet cover and there is nothing obvious. Water appears to drain out at each end of the wiper motor trough into the gaps between the body and the wings. I've also looked behind the fusible link box and the battery to no avail. Last resort, I suppose is to drill a hole in the floor, so the water can escape! I've read elsewhere on the internet about insufficient sealant on body welds, but the wing would have to come off!

·
Registered
28 Posts
any grommets on the bulk head that have come adrift. water can travel along cables from engine into the passenger area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Paul, thanks for the reply, if by scuttle panel, you mean the long black ventilated plastic trim (with "easy break" fasteners) that sits at the bottom of the windscreen. Then I have removed this and its completely clear inside. It seems to work by directing rain water out of each end into the gap between the body and the wings.
When the car is stationary and its raining (and leaking), I notice that the engine compartment bulkhead stays dry inside the engine compartment anyway. Anyone know if there are any potential leakage points underneath the wheel arch protectors? I suspect that the water is flowing out of the scuttle OK, but getting in somewhere on its way down between the wing and the body.

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Nick,

I have the same problem a you (although my Civic has a sunroof and a/c). Have you managed to get any closer to solving the leak? My passenger floor has also become drenched with water (there is no smell of coolant) and there is no real evidence as to where it is coming from. It seems to get worse when it rains. We have used a car sprayer hose all around the door, window, the windscreen, behind the front wheel and even tried the sunroof. The only place we managed to get water into the car was when water was put into the heater air in-take under the bonnet and it came out through the heater behind the glove-box and leaked onto the black rubber type mat that goes from the floor up towards the engine but in theory, water shouldn't be able to get into there anyway. Any help that you or anyone else can give is very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Dreamdlady85 et al, story so far: - I have removed the black plastic scuttle panel which runs along the bottom of the windscreen and squirted silicone sealant along the bottom of the windscreen where its glued to the body. This looks like it might have helped, but I won't know for sure until I've dried out the footwell again. I've currently resorted to a car cover. The heater inlet is normally covered and is protected that vertical plate, with the scuttle panel fitted, I can't see how water would get in. I've also pulled back the passenger side carpet and sound insulation, so I know the water's coming in behind the glove box and in the footwell left hand corner, I've seen it running down the metal. Also, I have pulled back the roof plastic strips and sealed where they meet the windscreen gasket. Its driving me nuts. If you google Honda rain water leak, you'll soon find we are not alone! I've tried asking the local Honda dealer where this model leaks and they can't help. Theres a guy here at work who knows a life long Honda mechanic, so I'm waiting eagerly for a reply.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know exactly what it might be mate.

pull your door card off and check the plastic sheet on the inside of the door for tears or rips. water can and will get in here very easily. this baffled me for ages and after fixing said sheet the problem went away just like that.
i'd put money on it being this to be honest.

HTH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have just spent the day on the same problem on 1998 3 door . its the wifes so ive joined her on here .thougt id search round see if i could find similar seems im not alone i have tried the above water pouring all over the car .I changed the door inner membrane back in the summer and i baged the speaker because i thought water was tracking in from there i cleaned out the drain holes in the bottom thougt id cured it but no. So today i started looking at the scuttle tray filled it with water car on the flat annd then half on kerb. took the carpet up glove box out lay on my back looking up cant get water inside the car :evil: Wthe f does it come from .Next took off inner arch liner cant see anything obvious here but agree this could be possibility so gave the seams that i can see a coat of waxoil .A neighbour told me he did the same with a civic he had owned with the same problem so i live in hope but if anyone has suggestions i would be more than gratefull. I own a subaru but i love this car and can see why people speak so high of them but i really want stop this leak as its spoiling a superb car. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all! Just though I'd update my situation. We temporarily sealed the drainage hole on the left-hand side to see if that would make a difference and it hasn't. Water is still getting in and badly! I'm thinking that maybe it is a seal behind the wing. Does anyone know how the wing can be removed? I've checked my Haynes manual and can't find it in here. Anyone else had any luck yet? It's getting frustrating as I'm sure you all are!! :redface: x

·
Registered
6 Posts
no i still have had no luck with this and still have water entering i think the same as you water is coming in from the wing area do you think it is possible water enters through the wheel arch i cannot get water into the car but noticed after the car had been driven on wet roads the problem was worse

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hiya, I took the wheel off and sprayed around that area under the wheel arch and couldn't get water in. Still think it might be from behind the wing - dodgy seal maybe? I did think the same as you ronda as there was a day when there were many flooded roads and after driving through them the water in the car appeared to be worse. That night it was drenched. Haven't checked for any grommets yet - will do. x

·
Registered
6 Posts
hopefully will get on to this as soon as gets a bit warmer outside cant face the cold at the mo was outside this morning Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrreezing :eek: so it will have to wait a while but that looks to be the root of the problem so i am gratefull for the info sheet :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all! I'm at the same stage as Ronda where as we're waiting for the weather to warm up! The info sheet from ckellum84 looks really helpful and I really do think that's the solution to the problem (Thank you!)...will update once we've tried! ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts