Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've recently noticed a huge amount of water useage from my D16 engine. I know its not the water pump, and all the coolant hoses are pushed in firmly, and after having a good look around it its definately the radiator at fault!! Theres a leak coming from somewhere.

At the moment I have it temporarily solved with a bit of radweld in the system its stopped the leak. However I'm looking to upgrade the coolant system anyway, to make sure that nothing goes wrong in the future. I am willing to spend top notch for this as I certainly don't expect to sell this car!! I really love it. So far here is my shopping list...

- Greddy Radiator Fan
- Samco Radiator Hoses
- Spoon Thermoswitch

A couple of things I'm a little cautious about is the radiator itself and the thermostat. Now, I have found these...

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&year=1992-95+CIVIC&level1=ENGINE&level2=COOLING+SYSTEM+COMPONENTS&level3=RADIATORS+&+BRACKETS&id_product=2929

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&year=1992-95+CIVIC&level1=ENGINE&level2=COOLING+SYSTEM+COMPONENTS&level3=THERMOSTATS&man=

Now I know the Spoon radiator says its for the B-Series engine, however I was looking at pics of the B and D engines next to each other and I really can't see a massive difference in the radiators and think it should fit. Does anyone have a good idea of wether it would fit or not??

Also same with the Spoon thermostat. Anyone know if it would work or not?? If I go for the Spoon Rad I'd like to keep with that and get a Spoon thermostat aswell.

If anyone can give me some advice to wether these should fit alright?? I don't want anyone to come in and say theres no need to change all that, I know that. Its my choice to upgrade all this I know its a lot of money but its money that I'm willing to spend to make sure it all ticks right. Theres gonna be alot of money poured into this car, so I don't see why I should skimp on stuff.

Cheers to anyone that can help me here!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
is ur car really getting that hot that it needs expensive spoon parts? standard radiators are designed to work with ambient temperatures of 45C without having any issues with performance. standard honda parts will be just fine.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I wanted suffcient mate, I would go for Honda. But I want to upgrade and Improve the cooling on the car.

I understand and appreciate what yoursaying, but if standard Honda parts are fine then why do people bother making after-market parts?? Know what I mean. Not having a dig or out Im just saying mate. You got any idea if it would fit??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi mate

Im getting a leakage problem too!

I found that mine was from the bottom radiator hose so i just got a full silicone hose kit, i thought that would have sorted it but it didnt!!

My radiators fine though so i dont know why its dripping sometimes, only sometimes, how weird!!

Check your bottom rad hose, see the plastic underneath to see if theres any fluid on the there.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should've posted up when I solved this lol...I found that it was a leak from the radiator. I checked the hoses Slivic and they were both fine. I used some Rad Weld in with the Coolant and it sorted the problem I have had a problem with it in about 3 weeks now :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
that rad is for highly modded/tuned / turbo/racetrack engines that need extra coolin. is yours duggy ??

£400 and no rad cap is pricey
you can buy 10 from a scrapy at that price with the filler cap and a fan

in my expeereince rad weld leads to more problems as it gets everywhere in the cooling system and can block the gaps the head where the coolant circulates leading to a head gasket falluire
an egg works just the same

ecusse the spelling please

·
Registered
69 Posts
i think my system was spitting out some fluid as i had filled the rad and the bottle to the top, when i opened the rad cap it looked full. even though i had lost about 500ml, so it was overfilled, could that be true?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm afraid its too late for me cuz I've already used it. And parking up and leaving it isn't an option Im afraid as I need my car for transport basically everywhere!!

twatnav no it isn't a highly tuned engine at all mate. What I don't want to do though is go to a scrappy buy another radiator thats done god knows how many miles for the same thing to happen. Hence why I want to upgrade it. If somethings worth fixing its worth upgrading IMO hence why I'm looking at alloy radiators. I'm not sure about the spoon number now but I do still want to get an upgraded coolant system

1 - 11 of 11 Posts