Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I thought i would make a thread to tell people what racelands are really like and any problems ive had fitting and using them.

Racelands are a very cheap coilover set up you can buy from ebay, if anyone didnt know.

What you need:

Essentials;
1. Raceland Coilovers
2. Origional OEM top mounts and washers from struts.
3. Good set of spanners and sockets
4. Jack and Axle stands
5. Hammer
6. Adjustable Wrench or Grips
7. Spring clamps (i managed it with out them but if you value your life i'd use them :p )
8. FOR 96-00 FITMENT!!!!!! You need a M10 x 1.25 nut OR a M10 bolt and M10 nut, bolt suplied is M12 and too big for LCA.

Advised;
1. WD40
2. Your prefered nut loosening fluid.
3. Copper Grease
4. Chisel (for removing folks from front struts)
5. Wire Brush
6. Rag
7. gas axe really helps with trouble-some bolts.
Fitment:-

I have fitted them to a EJ6 (97 coupe) but the suspention is the same for all UKDM EK shape (96-00 hatch, coupe, saloon)

When the racelands arrived they came paired, 1 shock with 1 spring, each in a box. For some unknown reason when mine arrived they had paired the front springs with the rear shocks and vice versa.

First thing to do when you get them is to make sure the springs are on the right shocks, otherwise you end up doing what i did and having to swap the springs once there fitted. Il tell you thats a pain.

The front spring is the one which is wound the same all the way on, the rear is wound tighter at the top of the spring.

Even in the ebay picture they are the wrong way round. lol

If you want to know why they have to be that way round, this is my car with them on wrong: the front is 4cm above the bottom of the thread and the rear is on the bottom;

[attachment=1:205q7u58]13012011309.jpg[/attachment:205q7u58]

Once you have the springs on the right shocks you need to swap the top mounts from your old OEM suspention. I managed to do this without spring clamps but i do not recomend it.

Its pretty simple, you need to remove the entire spring/damper assembly from the car. Then clamp the spring until its loose, doesnt have to be by much. Then undo the damper bolt, OEM dampers have a allen key hole in the top to help you undo this.

Once that is undone you need to remove the nut, washer, rubber bush, top mount, rubber bush w/metal lining, washer.

Transfer all of that over, exept the nut, to the Racelands. They do supply you with a new washer, feel free to use that instead of one of the old ones. They give you a new nylock nut to fit, i recomend using this. You may need to spring clamp the new springs to get the nut back on.

Thats all that needs doing to the fronts for fitment.

For the Rear there is a slight issue between the 2 models EG and EK. The bolt supplied with the racelands i believe is for EG models, it will not fit in EK LCA's.

I brought a completly new M10 bolt and nut, but you can just buy a nut and use the old OEM LCA bolt. (providing it hasnt snapped lol)

You will also need to space it out with washers as EK LCA bushes are thinner then EG ones.

[attachment=0:205q7u58]13012011307.jpg[/attachment:205q7u58]

I hope i made it clear.

If the mods think it is useless then feel free to delete.

Using them:-

Once on the car they are quite difficult to adjust, due to the large top seat. Its still possible, just not as easy as other coilovers ive used.

The springs are open more on the bottom to fit on the seat, only thing is they have made it slightly too open so if you go over very bumpy ground you can sometimes hear it twang. It is just the bottom of the spring not quite mounting on the seat. It doesnt bother me, and as far as i know isnt dangerous.

The ride quality is amazing for what they are, great for road use IMO. Not to soft yet not so solid that you bounce off you seat everytime you go over a bump (like my old coilovers)

If there is any questions please ask.

Hope this helps people.

if any body wants to add something feel free, il pop it in origional post.

Fitted to an 5 door Civic (MB/MC)

Tony

JDMSeal said:
well i have to say for the money i love them, just wish they had a damper adjustment lol
IainnDavidsonn said:
av not that long fitted racelands and a would say there good for the money i find a good difference between the originals to the racelands just in cornering this is the first car av put coilies on so a dnt no what the difference is with like the d2 vmaxx and others but racelands a would say imo are good :D
NineK said:
I have them in my Passat and for the money, i simply cannot complain. A little bouncy at times, but i put that down to the weight of the car.

Sits nice and low, and even carrying 4 engines in the boot/back seat didnt burst them. They never get washed, greased, or even looked at, just hammered.

Would definitely get another set - million times better than any of that D2 taiwanse/chinese made shite

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: RACELANDs, the deal y0!

i havnt got one yet, my phone is broken which is also my camera.

get it back thursday so picks then

·
Registered
12,742 Posts

Nice one Tony, thank you for contributing the write up :thumbup:

I'm going to sticky it as its very informative and I am sure will be of use to others.

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks effi, i may add too it soon with other things i thort about the racelands and more pics.

·
Registered
379 Posts

great review tony. i have a few friends running racelands and they have nothing but praise for them(for the money)

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Awesome. Cheers.

Im trying to persuade people away from the view that cheap stuff is bad. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If any of you have pictures of your cars with them fitted, PM me them il add the to first post.

·
Registered
189 Posts

nice one mate. im running jamex coilovers n they look exactly the same as raceland only twice the cost.
im actualy thinking of moving on to racelands!

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

no worries, as said nothing special, if your jamexs are fine i wouldnt bother with the swap.

·
Registered
324 Posts

civicek said:
Yh ur probably right mate. I'l just stick with the jamex until I get a new car
Dont the jamex ones have the damper ajustment on them ? i'll swap if they have :D

·
Registered
230 Posts

The loud twang you talk about can be easily sorted with the help of "helper srpings" they are a really thin spring that sits under your main spring keeping it held up all the time without the loss of spring or height,
http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/helpers.htm
you can get them from more places than just here obv, was just a fast search :)

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

yes you can fit those, but it will jack the car up higher. probably by 2cm at least. I have them on my old coilovers.

Its not due to the spring becoming loose, which is what helper springs stop, its that the bottom is too wide so can move side to side and catch.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Just been looking at these in JDMseal's thread, I'm after some coileies but don't know if I should get these since you say the ride is good, I don't want really stiff but obv not bouncing all over lol so it's a decision between these, Jamex or V-Maxx??

I know racelands adjust to 100mm and the other 2 go to 60 and 75, so that's better, even though I'd never be able to go that low lol

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The 100mm isnt that low, im at 80mm now and the rear wheel has arch gap (not much)

I thought 100mm would be arse scrapingly low, its low but D2's go lower.

Vmaxx and jamex are high compared i suppose.

These are cheaper and i see no reason for not getting them, i think they are excelent for road use.

·
Registered
675 Posts

hi there tony, i got my racelands today, just wondering are these springs the wrong way?

[attachment=0:3l6tpzhp]IMG_0524.JPG[/attachment:3l6tpzhp]

so the one with more coils should be on the fork? what else would i need to fit this on the EK3? a set of washers and a M10 nut?

thanks mate

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

yeah they are the wrong way round, just swap them. Yeah i used 6 washers for each leg, IIRC. Yeah if you can get hold of a Jap size m10 nut you can use your old bolt. If not use a new bolt and nut, as i did.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts