Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am based in Midlands with a standard vti jordan. same parts as vti.

Need:

Clutch replacing.
Want either standard honda or OEM or OEM plus (needs to be reasonably light and strong-like a standard one-but might go for stage 1 of certain companies if its a good price). I also need it fitting as i dont have the tools or knowledge for such a major job.
Might as well at the same time get the gearbox oil replaced.

With the fitting: am i going to get a good deal at honda? Do i want to find a proper garage? Does anyone know of one? I dont mind paying for higher quality work.

I also want to know whether its worth doing the clutch yet. The bite point is pretty much at the top of the travel, enough for it to be smooth, just feels really odd. I bled the clutch and it made the clutch lighter and felt better (this was when it felt even worse and didnt come up smoothly). The fresh fluid with no air bubbles makes it a lot better! It just bites high up! I get no slip at all and all gears engage well enough!

Also need to do a coolant refresh, but havent got a clue how much fluid is in there. On the rad cap it says 1.1, so im guessing the rad has 1.1L? I dont know if i saw this anywhere else but i saw coolant level being 5L??? Theres green in there and blue in my honda branded coolant.

Am also thinking about getting the valve clearances checked. Heard this can cost between £50 and £100 at Honda. Worth it? I get good economy and the car feels powerful enough, just the top end isnt as high as other similar cars (talking 135 vs "off the clock". could be the fact im running standard exhaust). Not really bothered by those sort of speeds as i normally drive at the speed limit, or if in a rush dont go over the tonne.

Also need to do another oil filter change. Am i better off with a thinner oil? 5w30 vs 5w40? Can i go from full syn to part syn again? I'm sure i'd advise myself or others not to but when i think about i could be thinking that you cant go back to mineral oil (older cars). I'm prob best off with 5w something! I do a lot of motorway miles but really like a good thrash now and again! i do regular changes so a cheaper oil is going to be better for me!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
stug45 said:
Clutch replacing.
Want either standard honda or OEM or OEM plus (needs to be reasonably light and strong-like a standard one-but might go for stage 1 of certain companies if its a good price). I also need it fitting as i dont have the tools or knowledge for such a major job.
Might as well at the same time get the gearbox oil replaced.

With the fitting: am i going to get a good deal at honda? Do i want to find a proper garage? Does anyone know of one? I dont mind paying for higher quality work.

I also want to know whether its worth doing the clutch yet. The bite point is pretty much at the top of the travel, enough for it to be smooth, just feels really odd. I bled the clutch and it made the clutch lighter and felt better (this was when it felt even worse and didnt come up smoothly). The fresh fluid with no air bubbles makes it a lot better! It just bites high up! I get no slip at all and all gears engage well enough!
I wouldn't bother doing the clutch if its not slipping. Your throwing away a prefectly good clutch if you do!

I would give CRXHugh a shout about this as he is only in Cov so might be able to do this for you cheaper than it would cost for you to have it done at a garage. He will probably be glad of the money as well lol

stug45 said:
Also need to do a coolant refresh, but havent got a clue how much fluid is in there. On the rad cap it says 1.1, so im guessing the rad has 1.1L? I dont know if i saw this anywhere else but i saw coolant level being 5L??? Theres green in there and blue in my honda branded coolant.
This is fairly simple just drain all the old coolant out and top up the rad with the new stuff. Start the engine to let the coolant get round it, stop the engine and top the rad up again. Then top up the coolant pot and drop the thingy back in. Your owners manual will tell you how much they hold (the CRX holds almost 4 litres in a halfsize rad)

stug45 said:
Am also thinking about getting the valve clearances checked. Heard this can cost between £50 and £100 at Honda. Worth it? I get good economy and the car feels powerful enough, just the top end isnt as high as other similar cars (talking 135 vs "off the clock". could be the fact im running standard exhaust). Not really bothered by those sort of speeds as i normally drive at the speed limit, or if in a rush dont go over the tonne.
Not entirly sure on this, if the car is running fine and you are getting good economy then I don't really see the point.

stug45 said:
Also need to do another oil filter change. Am i better off with a thinner oil? 5w30 vs 5w40? Can i go from full syn to part syn again? I'm sure i'd advise myself or others not to but when i think about i could be thinking that you cant go back to mineral oil (older cars). I'm prob best off with 5w something! I do a lot of motorway miles but really like a good thrash now and again! i do regular changes so a cheaper oil is going to be better for me!
Just use whatever is recomended in the manuel pretty sure its 10w40.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want a thinner oil for better cold starting and drive straight away. going to use the 5w40 again as its a lot cheaper in full syn than just part syn!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts