Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am thinking about getting a PORTABLE BATTERY JUMP STARTER but I have read somewhere that they sometimes don't hold enough charge to get the car started, I have a 99 auto 1.4i and the battery died the first day I got it and I am nervous it may happen again. I can't bump start because its automatic and I live in an isolated area so its quite possible to find myself stuck somewhere with a flat battery and no phone signal etc.

Can someone recommend a good charger, I have seen some on ebay for around £25-£30 or should I carry a spare battery instead?

I have been driving the car for a week now with out further problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advice, as I said before I live in a remote area, no Halfords up here that's why I am looking on ebay, my local garage has one in for £76 but to me it looks the same as the ones on ebay.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi there,

That model is very common and I've seen it sold under various brands. A friend of mine has it and he's used it on at least one occasion that I know of to get him out of trouble with a flat battery. I'd double check the specs against your engine size but I'm pretty sure its fine.

I have a more heavy duty one which in addition to a compressor, fluorescent light has a 300W mains invertor which has proved very useful. I've used mine twice in emergencies for me and my family with dead batteries. It also polarity check built in and an LED indicator so that it won't deliver any current if the jump leads are connected the wrong way round which is useful in the dark. The only downside of mine is because the lead acid battery is a higher capacity - its pretty heavy.

So unless anyone has any reason to find fault with the Marksman one then I'd say go for it. It's the cheapest I've seen it for sale as well.

I hope this helps!

Edit:

Sorry didn't see you said you have a 1.4l engine in your original post. It will definitely be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts