Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1.4l 1999 modle and want to paint my rocker cover.
ive been told to take it off to do this but ive also been told to do it while attached.
i heard to take it off ill have to take off the bolts in the right order and put them back on the same order, is this true, if so how hard is it.
any suggestion of what to do would be greatfull.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
no you dont need to take them off in any specific order, just loosen them each a tiny bit at a time, dont do one whole bolt at a time or the final bolt will have too much stress on it!!
take the cover off to do it, you will just make a complete mess of your engine bay if you dont, and at this time of year you shouldnt really be spraying outside as its too cold and windy!!

just take the cover off, clean it down, ensure its throroughly dried and spray on about 3 or 4 thin layers of the colour you want, ensure its VHT paint (very high temperature)
leave the cover for 24 hours, to ensure its dried out(you can put it back on once its dry to touch if you like as the heat off your engine will help dry it out, after 24hours apply a few coats of lacquer as it brings out the colour in the vht paint

when putting the cover back on be carefull as im just after snapping one of my engine bolts, make sure you put the rubber seal/gasket properly or buy a new one!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts