Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thats what i have used, would aviod fully synth if you dont know the history of the car and what it has been ran on previously.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I dont get why people are soo sensitive when it comes to which oil they use.

In my Corolla gti which topped out at 123mph when i bought it, after around 3-4 Mobil 1 5-40 fully syn oil, it was hitting 133mph, i could drive in 3rd gear at around 8mph and it was smooth, not a judder!

In 3 cars i have noticed improvements in fuel economy, smoother running engine and faster after using fully synthetic oil.

I have used other oils such as Castrol Magnatec, semi syn among others.

In my R-plate d16y7 civic which is currently on 103k, im using 10-50 fully syn oil and i can get 350miles from the 40litre tank it has, thats decent driving, not too slow, not too fast.

Fully Synthetic all the way :) (with engine flush prior everytime obviously)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have always stuck with semi, due to some ingredients in the fully synth that can wash away any carbon deposits holding your engine together so to speak.

I havent experienced that personally but have been advised by a few mechanics. also having owned preludes that burn oil for fun i found that when i used fully synthetic it burned a lot faster than semi. And at 20odd quid a bottle you get a bit more cautious about which one you use.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yh a few mechancics have told me to use semi iswell he goes they are better for older cars with high milage.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Depends if your willing to take a risk and i dont think its a big one either.

Also Fully synthetic is supposed to prevent sludge build up, and you kow that sludge is the engine cancer right! it builds and builds until your components can not manouvere.

I always Flush for 15 mins then fully syn. I only have good things to say but dont come to me if things go wrong, lol

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Alan-VTIS said:
I have always stuck with semi, due to some ingredients in the fully synth that can wash away any carbon deposits holding your engine together so to speak.

I havent experienced that personally but have been advised by a few mechanics.
redline said:
yh a few mechancics have told me to use semi iswell he goes they are better for older cars with high milage.
right well this mechanic is telling you to run semi or fully theres nothing wrong with fully i run nothing else , as for washing away carbon deposits that are holding your engine together please have a word with yourselfs ,
and the second all the cars i run have 100k plus on i dont understand where all this is coming from fully synthetic is far superior and is available in all sort of viscosity ratings 0/30 to 10/50 and in betweens , so you dont have to run they really thin ones you can run the viscosity you run as a semi synthetic
so go on give your engine some of the good stuff .

Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance
Better chemical & shear stability
Decreased evaporative loss
Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems
Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less oil waste.
Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.
Better lubrication on cold starts .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts