Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I own an 98-00 Civic, 1.4i. Just had it serviced. Changed the oil and filter after 7k miles.

However I have had castrol semi-synthetic oil put in this time. My question is, how often do you have to change the oil for semi-synthetics? as my understanding is, they don't have to be changed as often as the conventional oils.

Also how often would you recommend to change the spark plugs as well?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oil and filter change every six months for me.

Fully synthetic oil for me Silkolene Pro-S 5w 40 and preferably a HAMP filter

·
Registered
206 Posts
glad someone asked this question. My wee red light on the dash keeps goin on and off randomly so i think ill need to change mine at some point.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah i think its the oil pressure light, which only comes on when damage is being done. The funny thing is yeah? it only started to come on the other day and the oil was changed back in Feb, theres about 3inches of oil on the dip-stick : ..Any ideas of what to do ? Should i try toppin up n see what happens after that?

*Edit, it really only seems to come on when goin round corners, this makes me think that theres a problem with a wire on, or the oil-sensor itself. when goin round a corner this will make the oil flow towards the outside and hence why the light flashes once or twice then goes off. Im gonna get it checked tomorrow at a garage to be safe as i dont want my engine seizing. Another thing, on my dipstick theres 2 small dots about 1-2cm from the bottom and oil appearsat least 3 inches above this so i think theres enough oil in my car to be quite honest.*

·
Registered
351 Posts
bit confused there. you say the level is above the marks???? if so get it out to much is as bad as not enough! #
if the levels between the markers screw the light . My sprinter oil pressure light does that and its fine

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
right oil light on is either low pressure (switch triggers light at 4 psi on average) or the oil switch is stuffed ,
to say overfull is as bad as low is not true low oil will stuff an engine but overfull will never bugger an engine
get your oil pressure checked and change the switch if thats fine ,
THE OIL LIGHT IS A PRESSURE LIGHT NOT A LEVEL LIGHT.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
crap
the engine oil pressure is regulated by the oil pump which in turn has a pressure relief valve ,
who ever told you over filling the oil would increase the pressure must have been related to pinochio
the symptoms of over filling oil will be oil burning due to the oil being splashed up at the pistons and forced the wrong way past the rings,
also you get a sluggish engine because the crankshaft will be hitting the oil ,
and really thats it .

·
Registered
351 Posts
my fathers a marine and automotive enginerer with 10 years at uni and 20years at work ,he designs and builds engines. some with pistons 6 foot tall and generating over 20,000 hp.
he told me never to have the oil level below or above the stated level
its that level for a reason
extra oil buring in your engine will cause problems down the line like sooting
it wont kill it like to little will ,But it aint good

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
twatnav said:
bit confused there. you say the level is above the marks???? if so get it out to much is as bad as not enough! #
if the levels between the markers screw the light . My sprinter oil pressure light does that and its fine
"too much is as bad as not enough"this is your quote..
my sprinter has an oil light that comes on and its fine..

oh great advice if your so into everything mechanical this is a bloody stupid statement .

i did not say that it was a good thing, just that it was not as bad as no oil
and i have 20 years in the garage trade (personaly) and in the same firm so i am not talking out of a book or out of my arse ,this i dont bring up normally but you started it
i have seen more engine than you have had hot dinners , i dont like false info and scare mongering if you are posting post the correct info , eg: too much oil causes high oil pressure ,your statement not mine and false i might add.
an oil light wether a switch fault or low pressure needs check imediately not left and ignored .

·
Registered
351 Posts
i just said it was bad to have to much oil . otherwise why have a max level mark???
my sprinter has dodgy sensors all round merc said the pressure was fine and to ignore the light
there seems to be missunderstandings here
and i never said to much oil causes high oil pressure
normally im the defensive one

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
twatnav said:
with to much oil in the engine the pressure will change
no your right but i was assuming from the comment in quote that it wasnt too much oil causes low pressure ,
we will leave this alone i thing the dummy has been spat quite far enough for tonight as i think alec was trying to say in his library of pics .
i do wonder sometimes were he gets them all from he obviously has too much time on his hands :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts